Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fish coating/batter

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I hate dry battered fish, ended up finding a good product they sell at the Independent grocery. It's 'Rocky Madsen's Fish Crisp Gourmet Grill'. You powder the fish with it, wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven. What you end up with is fish done in sauce not batter. They have a variety of flavors, we had the Honey Dijon on some Tilapia last night..excellent.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

pancake batter works best. Gotta have lots of oil in the pot though. Add saltha and pepped to the mix and mmmmmmmmmm......

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I am in love with the fish crisp Jamaican Jerk

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

cronzys is good... my fav though is spreading a thin layer of mayo on the fillet then put them in a bag of crushed up chips for batter.. i found ruffles all dressed or BBQ are the best!... then put them in tin foil and put on the BBQ!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

my fav though is spreading a thin layer of mayo on the fillet then put them in a bag of crushed up chips for batter.. i found ruffles all dressed or BBQ are the best!... then put them in tin foil and put on the BBQ!

I am going to have to try this one!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

my family used to own fish crisp,i stil have about 30 boxes of the stuff,i like cronzes better.dont tell pat burrows that!!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

italian breads crumbs mixed with a wee bit of pre made batter, dips the fish in egg and lay it in some hot peanut oil, cast iron pan on a camp fire

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default fish mix

Theres lots of good recipes, years ago i read in a book about mixing flour with crushed cornflakes or rice crispies, dip salted & wet perch fillets in the mix and fry- its better than it sound-or maybe perch are so good you cant realy mess them up?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

lately i've been using a mix of salt, pepper, flour, and corn meal. my buddy told about someone using crushed up salt n vinegar chips that I think I will have to try.
    "To be a Cree is to be a hunter."
    Americans have "Freedoms" (rights) we have "Privileges" that can evaporate over night.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

cronzys is awesome (just don't read the ingredients!!). I like the Fish Crisp Cajun but it is a little overpowering.

The biggest supprise I had was when a buddy cooked up some fish in crushed salt and vinager chips (didn't have anything else). Turned out great!

Another trick I just learned was the triple batter. Use room temp eggs the go egg to batter - egg to batter - egg to batter. Makes a nice thick coating.
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.