Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Very nice!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

You don’t have to get into bodied decoys if you don’t want to.
    I’ve been goose hunting for almost 20 years with A set of 10 silhouette decoys that I made out of thin door sheathing. I used a photo of a commercial silhouette decoy to paint them, and they have been drawing geese in like a magnet. I use a canvas firewood carrier to carry them in, and have removable flat steel stakes to anchor them in the fields.
    I’m 73, and carrying the gear thru fields was starting to be a drag, so I got a folding utility cart on sale from CTC, mounted 2 lawnmower wheels on it, painted it camo, and using it this year to wheel my decoys and pack into the fields to hunt.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

sweet success on the last day of early goose, awesome, which call are you using?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikedinoro View Post
    Thank you everyone who was kind to lend a knowledge hand!
    Got out last day of the early season, got the decoys in a small pattern, wind facing, dog and I got into the tall grass cover and I started calling once in a while

20 mins or so in the sit, a flock changed course towards us, but they didn't like something, so they left
    Not long after the first fly by, 6 geese decided to answer my call, started imitating their tempo as much as I could, and the end result is in the freezer.

Attachment 40814
    Attachment 40815
    That sure looks tasty... Congrats...
    Very nice, what's your way of cooking them?

You mention, you were facing into the wind?
    Geese always land into the wind, so I find it best to have the back of my head feeling the wind with decoys out front, some on the right and some on the left, leaving the middle open for them to land...Just something I do and seems to work.
    Good luck this coming weekend
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    I’ve been goose hunting for almost 20 years with A set of 10 silhouette decoys that I made out of thin door sheathing. I used a photo of a commercial silhouette decoy to paint them, and they have been drawing geese in like a magnet. I use a canvas firewood carrier to carry them in, and have removable flat steel stakes to anchor them in the fields.
    I’m 73, and carrying the gear thru fields was starting to be a drag, so I got a folding utility cart on sale from CTC, mounted 2 lawnmower wheels on it, painted it camo, and using it this year to wheel my decoys and pack into the fields to hunt.
    Thank you sir! I would love to see a picture of yours
    I was just looking at these silhouette decoys, a bit tough with full bodies dog, equipment, marsh walking alone in the dark
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGuy...ature=youtu.be

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    That sure looks tasty... Congrats...
    Very nice, what's your way of cooking them?

You mention, you were facing into the wind?
    Geese always land into the wind, so I find it best to have the back of my head feeling the wind with decoys out front, some on the right and some on the left, leaving the middle open for them to land...Just something I do and seems to work.
    Good luck this coming weekend
    Thank you Fratri!
    I butterfly the breast to reduce the thickness, generous salt and pepper, melt butter in a pan, fry 3mins on each side (or to desired rareness)

Decoys were facing the wind, but I see what you're saying, thank you for the suggestion!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    Very nice!
    Thank you!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    sweet success on the last day of early goose, awesome, which call are you using?
    Thank you
    Believe it or not, a cheap Flambeau from CDT for 10$ - rasp with high pitch break, and a Primos flute. I alternated between them to mimic multiple geese calling. Slow moans and lonely calls until I hear a response, then I tried to mirror their calls. Still learning

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I just bought 5doz Divebomb silhouettes. Should arrive today. I usually run 3 doz full bodies but adding these silhouettes should help, quicker set up and less space in the truck.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Silhouettes can be very effective. To us they look 2 dimensional and flat. To a goose in the air, with their angle of view always changing, a flat bodied decoy gives the illusion of movement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast