Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Town suspends beaver trapping following public outcry

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Town suspends beaver trapping following public outcry

Story:

The Town of Aurora has suspended the trapping of beavers at stormwater management ponds following a public outcry.

According to Eliza Bennett, Acting Manager of Corporate Communications for the Town of Aurora, the Town has suspended trapping activity pending consultation with Ontario’s Ministry of Natural Resources about “best practices and alternative methods for beaver management.”

“Our preference is always to have peaceful co-existence with local wildlife, and we are hopeful that we can find a way to protect residents from flooding and enhance our handling of wildlife at the same time.”

Residents raised alarm bells over the use of traps to capture beavers in stormwater management ponds near Bayview Avenue and St. John’s Sideroad.

One such resident, Rachel Evans, who said she had concerns not only with the impact on wildlife but on dogs and pedestrians as well.

“I have heard from numerous nature walkers that the Town is setting wildlife traps in ponds to kill beavers,” she said. “These lethal traps are hidden in the water at the end of wildlife trails. Check out reports from dog owners across the country whose pets suffered broken muzzles and leg amputations after stepping on a concealed trap in the water.

“There is no law that requires public posting of the location of these cruel traps, but we expect Town policy of transparency. Let us know the location of these traps and why they are necessary. Aurorans take pride in the natural trails and forests. Killing wildlife should be the last resort.”

The issue was subject to significant discussion on social media as well, prompting the Town to state that the practice of trapping is to “maintain public safety and to manage risks associated with beaver activity as it relates to public health and infrastructure.”

“We have a healthy beaver population in our Town, and our preference is always for co-existence, tolerance and prevention,” said Ms. Bennett. “We actually use a number of methods to manage beavers, including wrapping trees with wire, planting species of trees that beavers don’t touch, and removing dams where necessary. That being said, in some cases, and despite our best preventative efforts, beaver activity results in a risk to public safety, or a risk of damage to public infrastructure.”

In this particular case, Ms. Bennett said a beaver dam was blocking the outlet of the stormwater management pond “impairing the facility’s functioning and creating risks to both public and private property.”

“As such, for this type of situation, we operate a nuisance beaver program that includes trapping – a common practice in municipalities across North America. This is, again, a last resort. Trapping is done with licensed trappers and in accordance with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry and the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act. We work closely with these bodies to make sure that the program is run within regulations.”

The trap in question, she added, was subsequently stolen.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Well, good thing they have a large tax base. I'm sure they will be paying large for contractors to fix the associated issues from protecting the beavers.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well, good for them for taking a stand against those who keep their homes above water! It'll be cute to see them building their own dams around the homes! Talk about being one with nature.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I wonder how much of an environmental impact (footprint) they are going to make by saving a few beaver....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Town near me had the same public outcry. Town council passed a bylaw saying lethal traps will only be used as a last resort and will be publicly announced before hand. They have not used lethal traps in two years!! Two years!

They just have town workers block off the trails for maintenance, contact the OPP and natural resources. Then give the local trapper permission to shoot the beaver. No traps involved.

Still cheaper in man hours then dealing with flooding and paying for heavy equipment.

I hope they find out who stole the trap and charge them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

This is a built up area and trapping in places with widespread public access is idiotic. There are other ways to deal with beaver damage than using traps that present a threat of injury to people and pets.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    This is a built up area and trapping in places with widespread public access is idiotic. There are other ways to deal with beaver damage than using traps that present a threat of injury to people and pets.

What's idiotic is the idea that a bunch of pets and people are being injured by underwater traps in ponds they aren't supposed to be mucking around in anyway.

Please link a story of an injured pet if you can, I couldn't find any. All I could find was this bleeding heart petition where a dog was "almost harmed".

"Petition · End cruel beaver trapping in Aurora · Change.org" https://10.change.org/p/end-cruel-be...redirect=false

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    What's idiotic is the idea that a bunch of pets and people are being injured by underwater traps in ponds they aren't supposed to be mucking around in anyway.

Please link a story of an injured pet if you can, I couldn't find any. All I could find was this bleeding heart petition where a dog was "almost harmed".

"Petition · End cruel beaver trapping in Aurora · Change.org" https://10.change.org/p/end-cruel-be...redirect=false

So you want a dead or injured family pet before you'd change the policy? Placing traps that near to a heavily populated area is stupid when there are other options to them.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    So you want a dead or injured family pet before you'd change the policy? Placing traps that near to a heavily populated area is stupid when there are other options to them.
    What other methods, shooting them? What would the snowflakes say then?

I don't think you have much of a grasp on why beavers are trapped in populated areas. It isn't for the fancy hats.

Last edited by GW11; January 16th, 2021 at 11:00 AM.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    What other methods, shooting them? What would the snowflakes say then?

I don't think you have much of a grasp on why beavers are trapped in populated areas. It isn't for the fancy hats.
    Shooting them would be preferable to indiscriminate traps. Another option would be clearing out the blockages caused by felled trees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast