Thread: Bore Snake, 50 Cal

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Bore Snake, 50 Cal

Looking to clean the ML well. I have a few bore snakes, 12 ga, 20 etc. Is any one of these close to a 50 Cal. I can't see why it cant work.????

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have a 28ga sxs and use a 28ga boresnake . Ithink is about .54 or .55 cal.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Most muzzleloaders do not have the ability to use a pull through, I would assume this is why you cannot find one.

I would debate how much cleaner you would make it with one of those vs a normal brush/wet patch/dry patch/oil patch setup.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I got 1?
    Glen

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have also have a question when cleaning the muzzle load I seem to get allot of build up in the barrel , how many times can I run the wire brush back in forth in the barell

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

A 12G is close to a 58, if you run the bore snake down a 50 it may bend the wires and make it unusable in a 12G if required at a later time. I once used some 12G wire cleaners in my 50 thinking they would bend back by themselves but they did not. Not sure about the 20.

To clean mine well I first use hot water with a wire brush on a cleaning rod, followed by hot water and a swab, then swab it dry, and then swab some modern gun oil down last (ie not the cleaner oil which can dry out). I use lots of swabs!
    Last edited by Marker; December 6th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zanman View Post
    I have also have a question when cleaning the muzzle load I seem to get allot of build up in the barrel , how many times can I run the wire brush back in forth in the barell

Use a range rod with a barrel tip protector ferrule (not sure if that's the correct term), its a small conical brass insert that fits over the cleaning rod (some fit into the bore).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    A 12G is close to a 58, if you run the bore snake down a 50 it may bend the wires and make it unusable in a 12G if required at a later time. I once used some 12G wire cleaners in my 50 thinking they would bend back by themselves but they did not. Not sure about the 20.

To clean mine well I first use hot water with a wire brush on a cleaning rod, followed by hot water and a swab, then swab it dry, and then swab some modern gun oil down last (ie not the cleaner oil which can dry out). I use lots of swabs!
    12ga 0.729"
    16ga 0.663"
    20ga 0.615"
    28ga 0.550"
    36ga 0.506"

A 28ga one may work for you

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I bought 1 from amazon at a good price, sized for .50 and .54 caliber. works great if you have a removable breech plug. I like to use it for a quick run through my barrel when it has been sitting in the safe for a while to remove any extra oil/butter residue not for regular after-shot cleaning.
    John