Thread: Power Pole on "Fish n Ski"?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Power Pole on "Fish n Ski"?

Hey, all.

I asked this question in an old thread, but haven't seen any responses, so I'm trying a new thread to see if I can't get a bite ...

I have a Nitro Z19 Sport "Fish n Ski" boat and was wondering if putting a Power Pole (Pro 2 or Sportsman 2) will interfere with the ski pylon (the pole where you attach the rope for tubing, water skiing, etc.). I really want to enjoy the benefit of a Power Pole, but not if it will prevent me from properly using the "Ski" function of my boat.

Any advice and/or thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TS

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My guess is that it will interfere with your ski pylon.
    Any power poles I have seen stick up quite high above the transom. You will have to consider the height of your pylon and the height of the power poles. If the two are relatively close in height, there will be interference.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rick.

Your comments reflect my own concerns, but, if there is interference, how much of a problem do you think it would be?

I'm a noob boat owner and would really appreciate the sage advice of the seasoned veterans on this board.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy-Seeker View Post
    Thanks, Rick.

Your comments reflect my own concerns, but, if there is interference, how much of a problem do you think it would be?

I'm a noob boat owner and would really appreciate the sage advice of the seasoned veterans on this board.
    That would be a question for a dealer. The issue would be your ski rope hitting the upright pole, which would obviously put a side to side pressure on the mounting hardware. That force could be significant depending on the weight of the person being towed, what was towed etc.. I have no experience with power poles, talons etc..

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Just a thought - is the power pole removeable easily? Is it a bracket attached to the transom and a couple pins to remove or is it harder than that?
    I haven't looked closely at them but it might be a consideration

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    That would be a question for a dealer. The issue would be your ski rope hitting the upright pole, which would obviously put a side to side pressure on the mounting hardware. That force could be significant depending on the weight of the person being towed, what was towed etc.. I have no experience with power poles, talons etc..
    Good point. I guess I'll have to make a few calls, but, other than Bass Pro Shop, there don't appear to be many Power Pole suppliers & installers in my area.

I just wanted advice from guys on this board with first-hand experience with this issue.
    Last edited by Trophy-Seeker; June 19th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machron View Post
    Just a thought - is the power pole removeable easily? Is it a bracket attached to the transom and a couple pins to remove or is it harder than that?
    I haven't looked closely at them but it might be a consideration
    No, they aren't easily removed - apparently it's a 4-hour install job and, in addition to the mounting brackets/adapters, there is a hydraulic connection from the PP to the pump. Therefore, there's no swapping out between Fish and Ski functions...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Okay, here's the update:

Per Rick's suggestion, I consulted with a reputable shallow water anchor dealer and will likely be going with the Minn Kota Talon.

In addition to the dealer's advice, I also did a bit of homework on Power Pole vs. Talon and opinions are clearly divided right down the centre.

What sold me on the Talon was the ease of installation (no hydraulics - only simple electric connection) AND the available tilt bracket option that will eliminate any concerns about interference with my boat's ski pylon.

Thanks to Rick and Machron for their thoughts.

TS