Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Horses attacked north of Pontypool...

Leads by example

User Info Menu

A black bear takes down an adult moose or a calf? I will have to check that out
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    I have watched documentary's on mountain lions (big cats) and it is common for them to jump off of a high perch onto the backs of there pray, not saying that's what did this but I can't imagine a black bear tackling a horse...…….grizzly yes but black bear??
    My neighbor in the north watched what he called the biggest Black bear he's seen around his place for years cross his pasture and approached his two horses. He figures the only thing that stopped the bear from attacking was the two horses stuck together and stood tall with there heads high when the bear was feet away from them, and then decided to walk off.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Easily !!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

During the time we could only hunt Black Bears in the fall,the BB population exploded. Their main food after emerging from hibernation are newborn Moose calves and Cows which has greatly contributed to the severe decline in Moose numbers. Combine that with increased predation by Wolves,Coyotes,ticks, brain worm infestation and increased hunting pressure due to lack of adult moose tags and we've created the perfect storm for crashing populations of Moose. Apologies to the OP for almost hijacking the thread.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    There's about enough chance of it being a "big cat" as a samsquench....lol
    It was a bear or cat. Apparently both are known to be in that area. Who knew?
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=397274

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I didn’t know that bears took down adult moose, lots of people talking about bear sightings around here too,

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Could a black bear do that?
    Yes those claw marks are from a bear not a cat. Cat claws hook and slice, a cat's paws are flat against the animal because the claws are the weapon not the paws, The claws on a bear is secondary and the force of the blow delivered by the paw is the primary weapon. The claws will have a scooping action.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sasquatch. Lock your doors.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Ive seen a cow cougar attacked.. that had to be put down out West.. this was IMHO a bear not a cougar..

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

After all ,two things are sure(no expert in claw-paw marks so can not comment and not challenging no one)

A cougar is captured close by -see CTV

No DNA sample was reportedly taken to resolve the mistery(or no mention of it)
    It would be interesting to find out and with DNA would be easy peasy.

NOW the big question is -ARE THERE COUGARS IN ONTARIO?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast