Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trailer lights question

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Trailers are a mystery for sure. I had a trailer that was getting old got the lights all working, then decided to under coat the trailer with the no drip stuff. Lights never worked again. Had to run a ground wire to each light to get them to work again. Somehow the undercoat stopped the ground through the trailer.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Seems that way. I have auto headlights so maybe at night when they are on full, the trailer lights might be still on. I seldom drive at night so I've never really checked that scenario. How I found out about this was the last day I was trying to figure out my lights my neighbor walked by and said I had no headlights on the truck even though it was idling in the driveway--not even the daytime running lights. Yeah! Voodoo for sure.
    My Gmc Sierra also has the auto lights but there is a switch that overrides it and you can turn on your lights whenever you want.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Today,I went to Canadian Tire and bought new LED trailer lights. I wired them up tonight and grounded each light pod to the trailer with a separate lead. They work perfectly,four ways,signals,brakes,side markers (which haven't worked in years) all of them. I'm a happy camper. Trailer lights are the spawn of Satan.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I wired them up tonight and grounded each light pod to the trailer with a separate lead.
    9 out 10 times bad grounds are the problem with trailer lights. I remember back when they used the ground from the hitch/ball contact with the vehicle.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Completely different subject, now buzz off and go fish.
    Not really. Theyre both driving concerns.

My point is it would have to be a really slow day for a cop to pull you over and charge you under that offense.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Not really. Theyre both driving concerns.

My point is it would have to be a really slow day for a cop to pull you over and charge you under that offense.
    Thinking that is a mistake. OPP and MTO have set up regular inspection stations just for that purpose on Hwy 7/115 and all points north through Peterborough County. It's scary to see what they've found. You just wouldn't believe the stupid shyte people do with unsafe trailers and unsecure loads.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Huh??? So when driving, the lights are on? When pulling over on the shoulder (or where ever) and putting truck in park, the trailer lights go out?
    In Auto mode the only lights on a car/truck will be the daytime running lights.

Word of advice. don't turn your light switch to AUTO. Your tail light and marker lights will not come on, even in a heavy rain or snow you are INVISIBLE to EVERYTHING behind you.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thinking that is a mistake. OPP and MTO have set up regular inspection stations just for that purpose on Hwy 7/115 and all points north through Peterborough County. It's scary to see what they've found. You just wouldn't believe the stupid shyte people do with unsafe trailers and unsecure loads.
    Had a cop(OPP) pull me over as I was making the turn off 17 to 129 north.
    Said he'd had a few calls about me weaving and riding the shoulder. There was one car that had been behind me since Spanish River. I said I am sure the guy behind me was the one, cause I was going 90 and he wanted to pass. Said I tried to help him go around by moving over on the long straight sections, but he would not pass.

Cops says that's likely it. He then looks at my License and says" YUP! ...Knew you had to be a truck driver....ALL the trailer lights are working."
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We're talking about properly functioning "portable/emergency" lights. Not a crazy/scary load.

Ive never heard of ayone receiving a charge for having them. I know lots of people that use them.

The above quoted regulation was also a federal law. Thats low on the list of things OPP and MTO are concerned with in a traffic stop.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    In Auto mode the only lights on a car/truck will be the daytime running lights.

Word of advice. don't turn your light switch to AUTO. Your tail light and marker lights will not come on, even in a heavy rain or snow you are INVISIBLE to EVERYTHING behind you.
    My truck is always on auto mode. All lights come on when it gets dark enough for the censor to turn them on. I have had them come on during storms as well.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast