Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown opportunity this morning

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Blown opportunity this morning

Due to some unforeseen circumstances at work, I wound up with the morning off today and with the weather looking the way it was there was no chance i would be skipping an impromptu hunt.

I arrived at my tree about 20 mins before legal light and got settled in. It was a beautiful crisp clear morning and I soon heard some movement in the bean field behind me.

The stand location I chose is in the brush about 50 yards from a bean field, overlooking about 80 yards of dry ground before it runs off into a cedar swamp. It is decently brushy with a nice opening ahead and to the left of me. The does run this funnel morning and night, between their bedding area in the swamp and feeding in the beans. it is still very green and all the leaves are up, so there isn’t much visibility beyond about 50 yards, and even a lot of that is blocked off by the undergrowth.

like I said, I started hearing movement before first light, but nothing visualized. By about 745 I still hadn’t seen anything, but there is an elm sapling directly in front of me that had grown enough since last year that I was sitting in its canopy. After studying it a little I decided that if I could trim one or two branches I would have much better visibility, but not lose the cover it afforded me. So I pulled out my Grohmann and began whittling away the top branches.

As soon as I cleared the first branch away I looked through the opening and saw an ear flick about 60 yards to my right. After a minute or two i realized this was the group of does the frequent the area and if they passed my way I was going to take the largest of the group.

Well, they headed in front of me on a string. The first one, a fawn, passed by at 23 yards and strode through the opening I hoped to shoot into. Another fawn went through 20 yards behind the first, then a yearling doe. The fourth doe to come in to sight was a large one and I was ready to take her so I drew my bow and waited for her to step into the opening. She was walking rather briskly so as soon as she hit the opening I “meh’d” her as I wasn’t comfortable shooting at the speed the walking. She took 3 more steps and stopped broadside, with her vitals blocked by a 6” tree! She stood still for 10 seconds then turned directly away from me and sauntered off.

At this point I heard movement to the right and 2 more large does we’re waiting to walk through the opening. I guess they heard be try to stop the doe in front of them and they changed directions and walked off out of range.

Anyways, I’m still in the tree hoping something else will come through, but I’m encouraged by the number of does in the area that I have patterned. I am hunting this area lightly until the end of October. I have some real dandy bucks on camera in daylight and I can’t wait for them to start chasing!
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will squander all his earnings, relationships and free time.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

sounds like an awesome morning! still lots of time in the season left, hopefully you cross paths with one of the bucks in your area...

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I hope so as well. I did a little scouting on the way out and found a new, well used scrape in an area I was already planning to hang another set. It had 5 or 6 different sets of tracks coming in to it so I will have to hurry up and get that stand hung.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will squander all his earnings, relationships and free time.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sounded like a great hunt. Fun how they seem to know right where to stop to keep vitals covered.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kdp89 View Post
    I hope so as well. I did a little scouting on the way out and found a new, well used scrape in an area I was already planning to hang another set. It had 5 or 6 different sets of tracks coming in to it so I will have to hurry up and get that stand hung.
    Right on. Did you get a camera on it? I try to transition my mineral site cams to promising scrapes as they open up. Get an idea of which way those bucks are coming from and when.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Right on. Did you get a camera on it? I try to transition my mineral site cams to promising scrapes as they open up. Get an idea of which way those bucks are coming from and when.
    Yes I did. I’m excited to see what’s there. I have some random shots of a couple bruisers floating around the property, but I haven’t been able to pin down their core areas yet. Hopefully this will bring me closer to patterning them.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kdp89 View Post
    Yes I did. I’m excited to see what’s there. I have some random shots of a couple bruisers floating around the property, but I haven’t been able to pin down their core areas yet. Hopefully this will bring me closer to patterning them.
    Man, I was so close last year. Scrape opened, I hung a cam, checked it every few days by 4 wheeler, not letting my boots touch the ground. My target buck (now dead, not by me) showed up in daylight Oct.24th. Couple days later I hung & hunted between that scrape and his bedding area, as close I had permission on. He got up and walked in 5mins after dark. [emoji853]. Close, but no cigar
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

So you're waiting for the rut to hope to catch a buck chasing a doe?....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Aren,t these camera,s the best thing going.They stop you from going nut,s on your stand thinking your land is useless and there is no deer.Then they drive you nut,s because the deer you see you cannot connect with.LOL

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Dang, that’s a tough break. Good luck this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Man, I was so close last year. Scrape opened, I hung a cam, checked it every few days by 4 wheeler, not letting my boots touch the ground. My target buck (now dead, not by me) showed up in daylight Oct.24th. Couple days later I hung & hunted between that scrape and his bedding area, as close I had permission on. He got up and walked in 5mins after dark. [emoji853]. Close, but no cigar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast