User Info Menu

Default Best recipe for catfish?

Never tried catfish so I was wondering the best recipe to try is

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The stock answer is Cajun seasoning in a frying pan...but I found a Club House mix called "Lemon and Herbs" in the spice isle that really works great with on Catfish.

The recipe is on the label (pull back) ...

http://www.clubhouse.ca/en/products/...1-089cb58451a3

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The stock answer is Cajun seasoning in a frying pan...but I found a Club House mix called "Lemon and Herbs" in the spice isle that really works great with on Catfish.

The recipe is on the label (pull back) ...

http://www.clubhouse.ca/en/products/...1-089cb58451a3
    Do you have any recommendations to size? Like how big is the biggest to cook? I like bass but I find that anything over like 3.5 pounds gets a bit too fishy, I haven't tried catfish but heard its good so I want my first experience to be a good one lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

This time of the year you won't find fresh Catfish, so what you'll get are fillets at the fish counter in the grocery store. Most places offer pre-seasoned Cajun fillets (1-2 per person/meal)...just pan fry them.

The fresh spring Catfish won't range much over a pound...if that...it's normally a small fish...takes 3-5 to make a meal.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

This time of the year you won't find fresh Catfish, so what you'll get are fillets at the fish counter in the grocery store. Most places offer pre-seasoned Cajun fillets (1-2 per person/meal)...just pan fry them.

The fresh spring Catfish won't range much over a pound...if that...it's normally a small fish...takes 3-5 to make a meal.
    Alright thanks maybe I will pick some up to try I know the zehrs in town has them thanks for the tip

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I made a thread a few months back about this vary thing. I can find the thread and post the link if you like. I also think there are a few others around on this vary thing. Been a while since I've been able to get out for cat fish ( or any fish ). But you probably wont catch any around this time a year. But when I was out last time for them I was keeping the bigger ones like MikePal said the don't get big and take a lot to feed you. They are vary tasty and super fun to catch

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatrack View Post
    I made a thread a few months back about this vary thing. I can find the thread and post the link if you like. I also think there are a few others around on this vary thing. Been a while since I've been able to get out for cat fish ( or any fish ). But you probably wont catch any around this time a year. But when I was out last time for them I was keeping the bigger ones like MikePal said the don't get big and take a lot to feed you. They are vary tasty and super fun to catch
    Sure if you can find your post that would be great if not no worries thanks

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm surprised that a guy who's name is 'fishingismylife' and who lives that close to Dunnville and the Grand River hasn't been catfishing....some of the best in the province out that way.

I quess I should mention, being as your out that way, you have access to some great Channel Cats fishing, which can easily hit the 20lb mark.....I tend to think in terms of eastern Ont were Channel Cats aren't common..we only get small Catfish here

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I'm surprised that a guy who's name is 'fishingismylife' and who lives that close to Dunnville and the Grand River hasn't been catfishing....some of the best in the province out that way.

I quess I should mention, being as your out that way, you have access to some great Channel Cats fishing, which can easily hit the 20lb mark.....I tend to think in terms of eastern Ont were Channel Cats aren't common..we only get small Catfish here
    I do fish the grand river a lot but there is no way I'm eating anything out of that river, I just catch and release at the grand, always a good time, I have never actually set out to fish specifically for catfish, I have caught some but most are real small and not worth keeping..I have always heard that dunville has great catfish but haven't made it out there yet, most of my free time is spent hunting and shooting now.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingismylife View Post
    I do fish the grand river a lot but there is no way I'm eating anything out of that river, I just catch and release at the grand, always a good time, I have never actually set out to fish specifically for catfish, I have caught some but most are real small and not worth keeping..I have always heard that dunville has great catfish but haven't made it out there yet, most of my free time is spent hunting and shooting now.
    ok im sort of lost here...... why wouldnt you eat anything out of the grand? people eat trout bass and walleye from there all the time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast