Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will a Winch run off a cigarette lighter?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

SawBill...I have a small winch mounted on my lawn tractor that is used to raise and lower the blower attachment. I don't know the specs...and it's too cold (-27) to go out yet and look. It's very strong and not too big, would be great on an ATV for quick pulls.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Now you got wondering if I lost my mind lol.
    This was a long time ago but I do know for sure I installed a winch on a Honda Big Red three wheeler. lol
    Maybe my brain is fuzzy on how I hooked it up?
    If I remember correctly there was a cigar lighter plug in (or I got my bikes mixed up??) but I think there was also a two prong connection on the side maybe that's where I plugged it in??? I'm pretty sure it wasn't directly on the battery.
    I think I kept the winch so will check wiring if I can find it.
    Sorry sawbill I didn't want to give you wrong information....
    The way it works is that you use a low current source such as a cigarette lighter to energize a solenoid with a modestly small switch that is single pole / double throw (forward and reverse / in - out motion of the winch cable). In effect, reversing the polarity. The high load side usually connects to a battery through the solenoid to permit high current draw. Without the solenoid, you would need a mega switch.
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think I best go with my beaver hoist and rope. Otherwise I'd have to get Bushmoose to wire the contraption for me and he'd probably blow every fuse in the neighborhood.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I took an old Warn 2500 ATV winch and mounted it on a 3 foot piece of 4X4. It works great for pulling my 6x8 ice hut up the ramps onto my flatbed trailer. I just use two ropes and tie the 4x4 onto my trucks bumper. Freespool the winch cable back to my hut, then hook it up to a marine crank battery. Works fantastic for loading the hut, dead lawn tractors, dead atvs, etc.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    I took an old Warn 2500 ATV winch and mounted it on a 3 foot piece of 4X4. It works great for pulling my 6x8 ice hut up the ramps onto my flatbed trailer. I just use two ropes and tie the 4x4 onto my trucks bumper. Freespool the winch cable back to my hut, then hook it up to a marine crank battery. Works fantastic for loading the hut, dead lawn tractors, dead atvs, etc.
    Yep, simple set up. It's only being used temporarily, so in my mind, no need for all the fancy rigging of solenoids n such. No need to complicate what is such an easy straight forward deal? 2 wires from winch to switch. 2 wires from switch to battery and Bob's yer uncle! If you don't have and uncle Bob, Sawbill, you will if you follow my advice.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    You right Hunter..I have the owners manual for my 84 Big Red in front of me...It's an aux 12v DC power supply just beside the headlight mounting bracket. It's 12V 60 Watt (5 AMP) outlet. It even recommends AWG 18 -AWG 20 wire. I still have the black rubber plug it for it..they usually get lost
    Thanks MikePal I think that’s exactly how it was set up. Back in them days I’m sure it was a smaller winch then what we see today.
    Those Big Red are a great machine. I think mine was a 86 bought used and I also had a Yamaha 83 or there about that I bought new. I then got a Polaris four wheeler and now regret selling the two trikes. Thinking about it today the Polaris has the cigar lighter.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    The way it works is that you use a low current source such as a cigarette lighter to energize a solenoid with a modestly small switch that is single pole / double throw (forward and reverse / in - out motion of the winch cable). In effect, reversing the polarity. The high load side usually connects to a battery through the solenoid to permit high current draw. Without the solenoid, you would need a mega switch.
    Thanks impact!
    Electrical isn’t my forte, I was just a kid with big dreams! lol
    I don’t remember all the details but I’m sure someone with electrical knowledge helped me figure it out.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Thanks impact!
    Electrical isn’t my forte, I was just a kid with big dreams! lol
    I don’t remember all the details but I’m sure someone with electrical knowledge helped me figure it out.
    No worries. I have a heavy engineering background so just giving tips to those who ask.
    It can get real frustrating when your project keeps blowing fuses all the time or worse yet the wires get real hot.....lol
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123