Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Deer Ticks found in S/W Ont already

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I agree. I actually bought my first dose of Nexgard online from Canadavet.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Keep the seresto on!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

We switched out from Bravecto at the advice of our vet. It does not work apparently on the Lone Star tick.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RTRonthefly View Post
    We switched out from Bravecto at the advice of our vet. It does not work apparently on the Lone Star tick.
    Have they found the Lone Star tick in Ontario ? I heard they found a few out in NB, but that was a few years back..

Anyway...Bravecto still kills them, you just need to redose after 8 weeks instead of 12.
    Bravecto comes in multiple sizes for dogs (11.5 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg, 1000 mg, 1400 mg) and is unique is that is quickly and effectively kills fleas and multiple tick species [including Ixodes (commonly known as the hard shell deer tick); Deracentor (commonly known as the American dog tick); and Rhipicephalus (commonly known as the brown dog tick)] within 12 hours. Bravecto also kills Amblyomma (the lone star tick), but this only lasts for 8 weeks after dosing (due to the unique way that lone star ticks ingest their blood meals).

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Yes, our vet indicated confirmed presence of the lone star in Ontario. We have moved to a monthly pill. I’ll check what it’s called. Apparently the Lone Star is more aggressive & will actively seek out and bite. This is also the tick that can cause it’s victim a subsequent allergic reaction/intolerance to red meat (human or dog)

Apprentice

User Info Menu

FYI - the meds we have moved to is called Simparica. 1 per month

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RTRonthefly View Post
    FYI - the meds we have moved to is called Simparica. 1 per month
    Wow that stuff ain't cheap...on-line it sells of about $40 CDN month.....can't imagine what a vet is charging

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm sticking to my Nexgard; it also kills the lonestar tick. MUCH cheaper than Simparica.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Nexgu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Elite Member

User Info Menu

What website are you guys buying from?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I tried Nexgard last season after many years of great results with AdvantixII mostly based on Sharon's results and both dogs are on Nexgard again. No mess and completely effective. If I could take it myself I would.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast