Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Horses attacked north of Pontypool...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Did you read at the bottom of the post that they want to get a donkey?

I can't see a bear that will repeatedly go after 450 to 700Kg horses being run off by a 150 to 350 Kg Donkey. They are just going to get a lot of donkeys killed.

Maybe a 65 to 80kg human with bow or shotgun would be a better idea. But you know "Horse People". "Sorry we don't want anyone hunting here incase they mistake the horses for a bear."
    Yea I read that and laughed a bit (to be fair I think this was before the MNRF stated it was a bear attack) at the thought of a donkey charging towards the bear attacking a horse and the bear stopping and thinking to itself "Oh look. The kitchen sent out an appetizer!".

Horse people are sometimes very odd. Somehow they think that a hunter is going to mistake their 1400-ish lbs horse for a 200 lb deer with antlers.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    Yea I read that and laughed a bit (to be fair I think this was before the MNRF stated it was a bear attack) at the thought of a donkey charging towards the bear attacking a horse and the bear stopping and thinking to itself "Oh look. The kitchen sent out an appetizer!".

Horse people are sometimes very odd. Somehow they think that a hunter is going to mistake their 1400-ish lbs horse for a 200 lb deer with antlers.
    Most definitely , horse people are of a different breed.
    No we don't allow hunting on the property as we don't want the horses shot.
    The reason for keeping a donkey , us for alarm purposes as I mentioned in my previous post.
    A good friend of mine , was losing sheep to coyotes till I told him to get a donkey [ jenny ] he hasn't lost one since, they are a great alarm system, which the coyotes apparently do not like, so this may work with bears, ???.
    The treason for a jenny[female ] is because an [jack ] can be very aggressive and will injure the sheep.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by poltrojan View Post
    if there are any, you won't be alive to tell the tale, just your bones.
    Must be a lot of bone piles of hunters out west !!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Once the bear kills the donkey I’m gunna hunt over it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Donkeys are a very inquisitive animal and very aware of their surroundings, they get very noisy when something strange gets into their neighborhood.
    Their are quite a few sheep farms around that keep a donkey a [ jenny ] just for that purpose [alarm ] , lets the owners know that something/someone strange is around, Often you will also see a donkey out with a herd of horses , for that reason.
    There are 3 donkeys within a mile of us, 3 different farms , we can hear their braying from our place , usually it's caused by coyotes close by or on the farm at night.
    Yes. They are great for Coyotes, and have a well earned reputation for being effective Coyote killers.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Once the bear kills the donkey I’m gunna hunt over it.
    That is what Fred Bear did on one hunt. Bought an old pack mule that was on it's last season, had gone lame on the trip in.

Took it out in the woods shot it, and left it for bear bait.

But I am guessing you knew, and that is why you said that..

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Most definitely , horse people are of a different breed.
    No we don't allow hunting on the property as we don't want the horses shot.
    The reason for keeping a donkey , us for alarm purposes as I mentioned in my previous post.
    A good friend of mine , was losing sheep to coyotes till I told him to get a donkey [ jenny ] he hasn't lost one since, they are a great alarm system, which the coyotes apparently do not like, so this may work with bears, ???.
    The treason for a jenny[female ] is because an [jack ] can be very aggressive and will injure the sheep.
    What happens if the bear eats the alarm system? Lol.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by poltrojan View Post
    if there are any, you won't be alive to tell the tale, just your bones.
    If you think the reply was needed and added value to the thread-so be it................

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    If you think the reply was needed and added value to the thread-so be it................
    Well your post did imply that all big cat/human encounters are 100% fatal for the humans, and that you would not be able to see a big cat and live to tell about it.

Sounds more like you are thinking about xenomorphs then Cougars.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    What happens if the bear eats the alarm system? Lol.
    I guess the horses at that time are forgotten about and the owner needs another alarm! lol.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast