Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for used atv

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Looking for used atv

What are the top things to look out for and questions to ask ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Look over an ATV like you would a car. When buy an older used be prepared for repairs. When I bought mine I discovered it was leaking Rad fluid a new rad for mine was 900.00 I found a new one on ebay for US sent it to my parents in Florida who then brought it back to Canada for me.

Does it start easily when cold (tell the owner not to warm it before you get there)

Check oil level, rad fluid

Check shocks (these can run several hundred dollars each even for cheap after market)

Look for oil leaks (look around all of the engine for oil spots)

Check brakes make sure the cable is not at the very end of adjustment or it will need to be replaced.

Test drive does the engine seem to miss?

Check exhaust if it is rusted out they are expensive

Check cables, lights

Check Tires (New Tires cost 100+ each)

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

While GW's response above is excellent, he forgot the most important thing to look for: Make sure it's a Honda

Also, depending on how old it is and how much you are planning to spend, you could ask about previous maintenance history and any service records.
    Last edited by rf2; February 17th, 2020 at 10:52 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Practically, you don't really 'need' for than 350/400 cc if your doing mostly bush trails etc.

If you plan on doing Poker Runs etc...then go for a 700+ cc and look for power steering.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Or a Yamaha Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    While GW's response above is excellent, he forgot the most important thing to look for: Make sure it's a Honda

Also, depending on how old it is and how much you are planning to spend, you could ask about previous maintenance history and any service records.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Looking for used atv

Around 400 is what I’m looking at. Honda’s are very expensive for the age of them. Yamaha would be great but finding alot of arctic cats. I have heard some failures with atv and side by side with the cats. I remember the sleds being good back in the day. Are they not still made in usa?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Yes mostly trail riding and snow clearing will be done. Automatic so the wife can drive, and 4x4 with diff lock. Snow plow and jump seat also. What is normal amount of km per year roughly?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm looking at only Kodiak and foreman something 2004 and up. Hopefully around 3500. I have a 2000 Suzuki ltf 500 giving that to my kids.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The prevailing sentiment..stay away from Arctic Cats.....costly to maintain. Honda's hold their price well because they are worth it and everyone knows it so you can ask more. Same as Toyota and Honda cars/suv/trucks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

One other thing GW forgot to mention is to check for torn boots on the C V joints. If they're torn then the joint would likely have to be replaced.
    Check for bent brake levers. They tell you if the machine has been rolled, and if it has been rolled then it may have been driven hard. Which leads to the next question....any teenagers in the house and/or how old is the owner/operator.
    I also agree with the others too. Stay away from the Cats and be very suspicious of Polaris.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast