Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new knee

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Wishing a speedy recovery...take your time healing, you seem like the type who will want go for a 6 mile walk 2 days after surgery...lots of time to heal before Oct 1st

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Sharon
    Been there done that.
    My only advice is treat the physio like a religion despite the pain.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Good luck Sharon, you'll be tap dancin' in no time
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Good luck Sharon and wish you a speedy recovery !

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Best of luck. I think that the total knee replacement has close to the highest patient satisfaction of all surgeries so good things are anticipated.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thymallus View Post
    Best of luck. I think that the total knee replacement has close to the highest patient satisfaction of all surgeries so good things are anticipated.
    It's one of the highest in demand surgeries (due to ageing boomers)..some places it takes years to get the surgery.

The caveat; satisfaction is largely limited only to those that had the surgery to fix sever arthritis. (see link below).

I have a couple of Army buddies that had their knees done due to damage caused during their careers. In both cases they fell into the other group that the study found. They both had to have premature replacements and still have continued pain....

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/bl...aced-1.4052504

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    Wishing a speedy recovery...take your time healing, you seem like the type who will want go for a 6 mile walk 2 days after surgery...lots of time to heal before Oct 1st
    LOL You know me too well.

Thanks for the kind comments gentlemen.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    It's one of the highest in demand surgeries (due to ageing boomers)..some places it takes years to get the surgery.

The caveat; satisfaction is largely limited only to those that had the surgery to fix sever arthritis. (see link below).

I have a couple of Army buddies that had their knees done due to damage caused during their careers. In both cases they fell into the other group that the study found. They both had to have premature replacements and still have continued pain....

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/bl...aced-1.4052504
    Sever Arthritis ??? that is what my doctor was treating me for for 5 years and many xrays, and extreme pain, till I asked him to send me to see someone that knows more about it than he .
    After a serious argument with him and more xrays, he sent me to a "sports medicine clinic " where the doctor said when he saw the xrays, " we cannot do anything for you, you need a new knee , you have absolutely no cartilage left ". This doctor immediately set up an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon.
    I returned to see my doctor and boy did we have a serous discussion which he did not like.
    He then sent a report to the surgeon and when i did finally see him , 6 months later, he was astounded and said that from what my doctor reported, he had me listed as a number 5 on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being the most serious and 5 being the least.
    But when he saw me and saw the xrays, he immediately put me as a number 1 , saying that I should have had the knee replaced at least 2 to 3 years ago.
    After I was operated on, the surgeon said that normally the replacement operation takes him 2 hours, but I was on the operating table for 2 hours and 40 minutes , this due to the damage [worn out bone that was caused by the long delay in years ].

Again after that , I had a very serious discussion with my doctor telling him that I was not a hypochondriac, that when I say that I am in pain . I mean it,and that I do not come running to him for a sliver or running nose, when I come to see him I am there for a serious problem.
    To this he did not answer but I could tell that he was very uncomfortable, but he did say to me , " I do not read xrays, I only go by what the xray technicians tell me.
    I did follow up with the xray techs. and what I got for answers from them, again my doctor did not appreciate when I told him what I found out, what they said of the seriousness of my condition, in their opinion , but that they are not doctors.
    It almost went to the point of me reporting him to the "Clinic CAO " at which he practices and to "The College of Physicians and Surgeons" which he did not like to hear that at all.

Since all that has happened, we are now on good terms again for the past year and a few months since my surgery and he is very friendly, always asking if there is anything more that he can do for me.
    He is also my wife's doctor , and always asks how I am doing when she visits him.

This has been "my experience with a doctor treating for arthritis " to which I say %#$@&^@$ !
    Last edited by jaycee; February 9th, 2018 at 11:25 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Sever Arthritis ??? that is what my doctor was treating me for for 5 years and many xrays, and extreme pain, till I asked him to send me to see someone that knows more about it than he .
    After a serious argument with him and more xrays, he sent me to a "sports medicine clinic " where the doctor said when he saw the xrays, " we cannot do anything for you, you need a new knee , you have absolutely no cartilage left ". This doctor immediately set up an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon.
    I returned to see my doctor and boy did we have a serous discussion which he did not like.
    He then sent a report to the surgeon and when i did finally see him , 6 months later, he was astounded and said that from what my doctor reported, he had me listed as a number 5 on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being the most serious and 5 being the least.
    But when he saw me and saw the xrays, he immediately put me as a number 1 , saying that I should have had the knee replaced at least 2 to 3 years ago.
    After I was operated on, the surgeon said that normally the replacement operation takes him 2 hours, but I was on the operating table for 2 hours and 40 minutes , this due to the damage [worn out bone that was caused by the long delay in years ].

Again after that , I had a very serious discussion with my doctor telling him that I was not a hypochondriac, that when I say that I am in pain . I mean it,and that I do not come running to him for a sliver or running nose, when I come to see him I am there for a serious problem.
    To this he did not answer but I could tell that he was very uncomfortable, but he did say to me , " I do not read xrays, I only go by what the xray technicians tell me.
    I did follow up with the xray techs. and what I got for answers from them, again my doctor did not appreciate when I told him what I found out, what they said of the seriousness of my condition, in their opinion , but that they are not doctors.
    It almost went to the point of me reporting him to the "Clinic CAO " at which he practices and to "The College of Physicians and Surgeons" which he did not like to hear that at all.

Since all that has happened, we are now on good terms again for the past year and a few months since my surgery and he is very friendly, always asking if there is anything more that he can do for me.
    He is also my wife's doctor , and always asks how I am doing when she visits him.

This has been "my experience with a doctor treating for arthritis " to which I say %#$@&^@$ !
    Free health care eh....our system needs a make over...most of the best doctors move to the states unfortunately and were left with those that passed med school with mediocre grades or you get the odd good doctor who stays and is great but they are hard to find.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    Wishing you a speedier recovery.........woodcock usually are back by Easter.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast