Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bancroft area hunting

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Bancroft area hunting

Hey all....A year ago I purchased a cottage half way between Bancroft & Madoc on HWY 62. I am also a new hunter. When I bought the place I figured there had to be a ton of opportunities for hunting around. Now I have called the MNR in Bancroft to find out where the crown land is in the immediate area & well apparently there isn't any. Without having to go real far is there anyone from the area that could point me in the right direction to hunt deer, small game or really anything. I just love being out hunting.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thumbup

Quote Originally Posted by B Diddy View Post
    Hey all....A year ago I purchased a cottage half way between Bancroft & Madoc on HWY 62. I am also a new hunter. When I bought the place I figured there had to be a ton of opportunities for hunting around. Now I have called the MNR in Bancroft to find out where the crown land is in the immediate area & well apparently there isn't any. Without having to go real far is there anyone from the area that could point me in the right direction to hunt deer, small game or really anything. I just love being out hunting.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill,

I,am in WMU 60 and used to hunt WMU 61.There is a ton of Crown land up that way especially east of 62 towards Gilmour,Gunter, north of Cooper and Limerick.The MNR no longer print Crown base maps but they can be purchased in Bancroft I believe at the Tourism office and a map shop.The mnr should be able to tell you where to buy these maps.
    I cant believe they told you there was no crown available thats awful poor.Also if you search online on the MNR own website you will find a link with maps to crown areas.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Also the backpacker handbook is good as well.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

http://www.lio.ontario.ca/imf-ows/imf.jsp?site=clupa_en

That will show you all the crown land you need to know. There is a lot west and east of 62. I know the area fairly well, a few rough ATV trails will take you around Freen, Big Buck, Little Burnt, Big Burnt, Bluff, Limit, Carson, Otter and other lakes.

LG

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Wow you guys are quick...lol. I just went to put my kids to bed & a few hits already. Thanks. What the backpackers handbook?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L_GUNN View Post
    http://www.lio.ontario.ca/imf-ows/imf.jsp?site=clupa_en

That will show you all the crown land you need to know. There is a lot west and east of 62. I know the area fairly well, a few rough ATV trails will take you around Freen, Big Buck, Little Burnt, Big Burnt, Bluff, Limit, Carson, Otter and other lakes.

LG
    There appears to be general use area really close to my cottage just south of Steenburg Lake!!!......That's good news. Why would they tell me there wasn't anything near by? I don't get it. Is this map current & accurate?

Bill

Leads by example

User Info Menu

There is lots of crown in the area, excellent deer and elk hunting, Oh s**t I said to much.LOL, seriously though its an excellent area, Im sure Patvetzal will chime in here shortly if not send him a PM he should be able to give you some pointers.. Good luck this season
    If hunting is a sport, than I'm an athlete.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdsl View Post
    There is lots of crown in the area, excellent deer and elk hunting, Oh s**t I said to much.LOL, seriously though its an excellent area, Im sure Patvetzal will chime in here shortly if not send him a PM he should be able to give you some pointers.. Good luck this season
    We've seen a few deer while we were out atving. I'd really like to try!! Patvetzal....That's the guys from Bancroft I see on here right?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Does anybody know if Domtar allows hunting in the Gilmour forest? I've always wondered but never really had the inclination to follow it up, it's about 65,000 acres.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
    Does anybody know if Domtar allows hunting in the Gilmour forest? I've always wondered but never really had the inclination to follow it up, it's about 65,000 acres.

A lot of the Domtar lands are sub leased throught Limerick Hunt Camps. I believe all up hw 62 you will see camp numbered 10,11 and so on.These generally lease out large blocks ie 5,000 acres for about $5,000.00 per year.Most of these camps have 25 members.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast