Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boat licensing changes proposed

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Boat licensing changes proposed

I receive the following email from OFAH:

Do you use a boat with an outboard motor (10 horsepower or greater) that requires a Pleasure Craft Licence (PCL)? Or are you planning on applying for a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?
    If so, Transport Canada is proposing changes that will impact you. Here’s a breakdown of some of the changes that are being considered:

1. A $15 fee to process an application to obtain a new PCL or to renew, transfer, or duplicate a PCL.
    2. A 5-year expiration period for all PCLs (currently no expiry or 10-year expiration period).
    3. Easier cancellation of PCLs if the holder of a lifetime PCL fails to apply, or if a PCL holder fails to renew a PCL.
    4. Reduced timeframe for owners to notify of a name or address change from 90 days to 30 days, and specify 30 days for the buyer to notify of a sale or transfer of a vessel.

Transport Canada is also proposing changes to the Pleasure Craft Operator Competency Program by introducing an accreditation application fee of $5,000, payable every five years by course providers, and implementing a maintenance and test materials access fee of $8.50 for each Pleasure Craft Operator Card that’s issued. Therefore, it is expected that course providers could increase course fees in order to recuperate these additional expenses.
    The OFAH will be providing feedback on behalf of the outdoors community. We also represent these interests through our longstanding involvement on the Ontario Recreational Boating Advisory Committee - a platform to share angler and hunter perspectives with government officials.
    Be sure to voice your opinion directly. To learn more about Transport Canada’s proposals and submit comments, go to https://letstalktransportation.ca/mss.

And I don't understand what all this stuff means. Do we, boat owners, have to do some thing or not?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Ok, it seems that it's a proposal only. But how much it will affect us?
    I surprised that it was not discussed previously...

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I got it also.
    Every boat owner should send in some very NEGATIVE responses to Transport Canada over this crap!
    We shouldn’t have to do this again EVER!!
    Its just a money making scheme for them, and does nothing to improve on what we already did on this the first time through.
    Everyone, please tell them where to shove this!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It is going to get expensive. I have 6 boats registered.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    It is going to get expensive. I have 6 boats registered.
    Gord I got my 12 footer with two wooden paddles on my wee Lake do you think I will be OK.LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Here comes another cash grab which has heretofore been an untapped taxation resource. Boat registration required for all mechanically powered watercraft over 10hp has been free,initially,except that all registrations at purchase are automatically reported to CRA to collect HST. That's the only reason boats require licenses. Now,the government will charge a user fee for all registrations,reduce the duration from 10 years to 5. Somebody has to pay for all this cash floating around. This is just the start.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Would think we'll all be "Grandfathered" it sounds like it applies to new applicants .
    Glen

Apprentice

User Info Menu

and I guess we would have to get some sort of vessel safety with the new 5 year thing ... hope it doesnt go through ..

they do however need to change the licensing for operators ... Toooo many new boaters this year running into bridges and some horrific accidents on lake O ...
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ata83 View Post
    and I guess we would have to get some sort of vessel safety with the new 5 year thing ... hope it doesnt go through ..

they do however need to change the licensing for operators ... Toooo many new boaters this year running into bridges and some horrific accidents on lake O ...
    Lot's have operator's cards. They can be completed on line. There's too many drunks and stoners on the water. Enforcement simply can't keep up.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

the online part is the problem I think, no actual training ... and ppl think its just like driving a car, until ...

at least with the Toronto ports permit, there is docking and retrieving test ... but past summer, none of the new boaters had it.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast