Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

All the best trkhntr21 .

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Yellow Dog, you might be able to transfer some of your training skills. I think that is a reasonable/logical expectation. The breeding - of any breed - is not something you do without knowledge about the science of breeding (DNA supported COI, etc. etc. of which I admittedly know too little). You should know about certain genotypical/phenotypical concerns about that specific breed otherwise how do you know what traits to stay away from.....and perhaps you do. Perhaps you faked me out with your forum name.
    Last edited by Ugo; February 4th, 2014 at 07:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Perhaps maybe I did. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ugo View Post
    Yellow Dog, you might be able to transfer some of your training skills. I think that is a reasonable/logical expectation. The breeding - of any breed - is not something you do without knowledge about the science of breeding (DNA supported COI, etc. etc. of which I admittedly know too little). You should know about certain genotypical/phenotypical concerns about that specific breed otherwise how do you know what traits to stay away from.....and perhaps you do. Perhaps you faked me out with your forum name.
    I have studied many breeds and raced Alaskan huskies, Siberian Huskies, GSP crosses, lab -hound -huskie crosses and Greysters. Have been involved with my own breeding program and mentored a few others as well. I have a very good understanding of specific traits many of these working breeds bring to the table based on hands on experience. I have a Springer pup who I researched for at least a year before I found a proven breeder with the proven bloodlines. The breeder was very surprised at all my questions and criteria I put forward. He was also impressed at the specific lines I was hoping to obtain and the important history behind them. Of course all the background information pertaining to the genetic health of the breed etc. I have many connections in the dog world other than this forum that i receive solid advice from with regards to new breeding programs being developed in different parts of the world. My springer pup is coming along nicely with her training and she amazes me how quickly she catches on and her willingness to please. Your concerns are valid and anyone interested in starting a breeding program need to contact the best breeder or breeders for advice and build a relationship with them to gain critical insight. This doesn't happen over night and can take years before starting such a venture.
    Last edited by yellow dog; February 4th, 2014 at 08:26 PM.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Congrats trkyhntr
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

So true Yellow Dog. I thought I knew something about breeding many years ago. The older I get, the more I seem to learn. The good news is that wisdom is not a race won. It is an on-going process.
    "Life is a classroom."
    UJP

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Who have you got in your Avatar Ugo?
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Yellow dog, I don't think anyone doubts your expereience with sled dogs and I am always interested in what you have to say about nutrition and conditioning. But I sturggle when you start talking gundogs. From your previous posts it seems like you have never been to a trial/hunt test/Navhda event and this is your first springer. I am just curious about how you know she is a good one? Is it because you have worked with a bunch of springers and watched a couple hundred in action or because the internet and the breeder told you so? I know lots of people that think they have good dogs and in their eyes they do but only because their sample size is 10 a the most and they have never seen a good dog or a properly trained one for that matter. I know people that have been breeding and training dogs for 20 years but it doesn't mean they are good at it or know what they are doing it just means they have been doing it for 20 years and there are more than a few out there like that.

Not trying to pick on you but you have made some very bold statements that myself and, I am sure, some of the other expereinced people on the board are struggling with that cause us to question your credibility when it comes to gundogs.

You talk a good game but I am not buying it when it comes to gundogs. Help us out here. Lets leave the pedigrees, breeding and sled dogs behind for a minute and talk gundogs. How many gundogs have you trained? How many have you seen in action and under what circumstances? How do you know that your 6 month old pup is a good one and the exceptional type of dog most of us expect a foundation dog to be?

I live close to you and you are welcome out any time to train or talk dogs because I am interested in your experience with nutrition and conditioning and I just like talking dogs and training with new people.

One thing I have learned about dogs and dog training is that the more I learn the more I realize I don't know anything at all. Whenever I start getting too big for my britches I go and spend some time with one of my mentors and realize that I am still only a grasshopper.
    OFAH, CSSA, NFA

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Sharon, that was another huge mistake I made rehoming a dog I should have kept! That is Pocahontas. She's the one you told had done some winning in the southern USA. I knew she was awesome but if I kept them all, there'd be no room for my client's dogs. And...............I'd be single too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ugo View Post
    So true Yellow Dog. I thought I knew something about breeding many years ago. The older I get, the more I seem to learn. The good news is that wisdom is not a race won. It is an on-going process.
    "Life is a classroom."
    UJP
    So so true.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast