Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yeah 50 yards, Umm... No!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    The deer I shot Tuesday I just ranged it from my blind. 42yd thru screen. Thru and thru shot taking heart out. Any one want to guess where my bolt might had ended up can’t find it she was 10yd from thick bush

How far do you think that bolt travelled forward with her movement. She made it maybe 8’ before making hard left then 40’ into bush
    Congrads on the deer. I guess you blew the 30yds or less out of the water...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Congrats on the buck! What model of crossbow are you shooting?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I shot a Excalibur matrix 355le. 150 grain bolt cutters with diablo bolts. The scope is set at just over 330fps

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I practice at 30 and 40 yards. I tried 50 but found it too challenging for consistency. I wouldn't dream of taking a deer at that distance. 10 with 20 being max.
    There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face.
    - Krusty the Clown

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Congrads on the deer. I guess you blew the 30yds or less out of the water...
    She presented perfect paused shot broadside right front leg ahead at 42yd. Shooting Excalibur assassin 420td 400+FPS

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boiler View Post
    I practice at 30 and 40 yards. I tried 50 but found it too challenging for consistency. I wouldn't dream of taking a deer at that distance. 10 with 20 being max.
    So you think that 20 yards is pushing it with a modern crossbow?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Seems to me that a lot of the comments on this thread are more directed at what the poster thinks others want to hear.

There is no cookie cutter, one rule for all situations. Every shot situation is different, angles, distance, wind speed, elevation and to think that one person's max distance is the same as another person's is absurd.

I will make my choices for my shots based on the information I have on hand, in the field when the opportunity at an animal presents itself. There will be times when 30 yards is just too far and others when 45 yards is a shot will take. I have never had a deer jump the string yet.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So you think that 20 yards is pushing it with a modern crossbow?

Did he say that? he said 20 was his max comfort distance.
    Things that fly turn me on

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    Did he say that? he said 20 was his max comfort distance.
    Yes, yes he did.

"I practice at 30 and 40 yards. I tried 50 but found it too challenging for consistency. I wouldn't dream of taking a deer at that distance. 10 with 20 being max. "

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Yes, yes he did.

"I practice at 30 and 40 yards. I tried 50 but found it too challenging for consistency. I wouldn't dream of taking a deer at that distance. 10 with 20 being max. "
    I feel like your reading into it a bit just to push your argument a bit more . . . . maybe?
    Things that fly turn me on

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    I feel like your reading into it a bit just to push your argument a bit more . . . . maybe?
    Nope, I am actually wondering why he thinks that 20 yards is the absolute max for bow hunting deer with a modern crossbow? Is he actually not using a crossbow but rather a traditional bow? I have a 40lb long bow that I shot every day for a summer before the hunt and would only sit in a stand that limited me to 10 yards with that particular bow. Maybe there is some physical reason why the range of 20 yards is the max limit with 10 yards being average.

I am honestly wondering why? 10 yards is nothing for something with any kind of sight on it, 20 yards is an average range for slow bows.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast