Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hunter" kills pony in Stoney Creek

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishy steve View Post
    hard to say what really happened... may have bin a poacher who stayed after dark, seen what he thought to be a deer and shot the pony... or could be the disgruntled man he ran into in the bush... couple years ago out here in chisholm, we had a guy shoot a neighbours horse on his property... the story was he seen the horses loose on his property, and didnt want them to ruin his hunt, so he fired a warning shot towards them to scare them off, then apparently the horse charged at him, and he had to shoot to protect his own life... he was charged... and living in a community that is over run with horse owners, he moved away the same month, assuming he got some threats lol
    Lol. He was worried the horses would ruin his hunt but the warning shot wouldn't? Thats a special kind of logic there.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Lol. He was worried the horses would ruin his hunt but the warning shot wouldn't? Thats a special kind of logic there.
    ya and im sure all the opp, mnr etc investigators really helped out his hunting too lol
    fishy steve
    id rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The horse charged him and he had to shoot to save himself? That might work if the judge had never been around horses....

Always someone out there ready to give hunters a bad name.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Holy jumping to conclusions Batman. It was a hunter? with a rifle? No wait , must of been a crossbow? Only a wack job would kill a pony and for the paper to report it as a hunter ? WTF. But as Welsh has pointed out before the general public will fail to see the difference.

Very sad.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    I think that means bringing them in the barn every night. And no, a livestock owner should not have to do this.
    Really? Have a 1/2 acre lot fenced in dog has the run of the back yard during the day however at night or when not supervised it gets kenneled. Do I have too guess not however to do my part to reduce risk of whatever I choose too. Its about personal responsibilities and reducing risks.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I live within earshot of this story...Seeing a grown man (and woman cry on CHCH news) for his horse was a bit unsettling.
    Judging by his tears, it was like he lost his child..
    However, it was assumed hunters or somebody with a bow, only because the animal was cut up the length to have an arrow and all evidence removed.
    It's very hard to find a hunting spot in this area without landowners permission..Therefore, it had to be a trespasser, or somebody with total disregard. The owner was correct in claiming that mistaken identity is not and excuse..If you can't tell the difference between horse and deer, then you've got issues.

I felt for him. He deserves justice.
    Last edited by Pijetro; November 18th, 2014 at 09:45 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pijetro View Post
    The owner was correct in claiming that mistaken identity is not and excuse..If you can't tell the difference between horse and deer, then you've got issues.
    I think that's sort of the point of many responses here, I don't think anyone believes the mistaken identy case being made. No hunter killed the horse by mistake; someone who doesn't like horses (or those horses) killed the horse.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I like the line...On Nov. 12, Stoltzfus was unknowingly riding on private property when he was confronted by an angry man. So this guy is trespassing. Tries to pass it off claiming "unknowingly". Well if you don't know where your property ends you have bigger problems. Forget the hunter its more likely a Hatfields and McCoy situation. This guy thinks he's self entitled to ride where he wants (the damaged fence may have been self initiated to provided easier access for himself.) neighbour may have said stop or else......

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Really? Have a 1/2 acre lot fenced in dog has the run of the back yard during the day however at night or when not supervised it gets kenneled. Do I have too guess not however to do my part to reduce risk of whatever I choose too. Its about personal responsibilities and reducing risks.
    1/2acre lot. Ok, I get where you're coming from. We have 222 acres with beef cattle and horses. Are you suggesting we should herd all of our livestock into the barns every night because it's deer season? I think we're looking at this very differently.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    1/2acre lot. Ok, I get where you're coming from. We have 222 acres with beef cattle and horses. Are you suggesting we should herd all of our livestock into the barns every night because it's deer season? I think we're looking at this very differently.
    Light-heartedly, I often get annoyed when people call horses livestock. To me, they're no more livestock than a dog is. We don't eat, get milk or wool from horses - they're just pets like dog 'round here.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast