Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doe Or Fawn

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of opportunities to be selective with what I shoot, so I take what comes my way.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I pee in scrapes all the time, LOL< it does not seem to affect the deer either way, I make sure not to touch anything around the scrap, to keep my other scent away

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I think, after reading this I am changing my thoughts.....maybe taking a larger fawn over a doe is the best thing to do,
    You can never really tell from 20 yards or more and 15 feet in the air if a doe with a fawn is dry, that is why I will not take a doe that is with a fawn until November thus insuring that she is dry. An ex buddy took a doe opening day a few years back with a fawn and she was full of milk, In December, we found a dead fawn not far from that spot that was halve eaten by yotes, may of been a different fawn but it did hit home, so now I just avoid the chance. Where we are there are lots of deer however there are groups that during control slaughter deer, the bush, and sounds like war zone and its amazing how many say they hit more than the kill, kind of sad

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymjt View Post
    I pee in scrapes all the time, LOL< it does not seem to affect the deer either way, I make sure not to touch anything around the scrap, to keep my other scent away
    If you watch the video Justin Hoffman posted it shows how the Buck pees down his legs and the urine washes across the tarsal glands that pick up the scent..that's the marker..not the urine itself.

Human Pee on a scrape has no meaning to the Buck.

about the 10 minute mark:

https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...eer-DIY)-Video
    Last edited by MikePal; October 17th, 2019 at 02:28 PM.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

i know a couple guys who will shoot a fawn over a doe saying the fawns are more tender.

i dont believe that.

for the amount of meat your getting off a fawn for a tag is it really worth it if your also looking at a doe?

i also know some people who feel morally wrong for shooting a fawn if they know does and bucks are in the area. but someone also made the point of them not making it through the winter so you can look at it a couple different ways.

for me id rather take a shot at the doe.

12 days!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    If you watch the video Justin Hoffman posted it shows how the Buck pees down his legs and the urine washes across the tarsal glands that pick up the scent..that's the marker..not the urine itself.

Human Pee on a scrape has no meaning to the Buck.

about the 10 minute mark:

https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...eer-DIY)-Video
    Oh, we have pissed off some bucks by peeing in their scrapes, other times the scrape has dried up after doing that though.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

i'm not saying i won't shoot a doe or fawn because i will, but the reasoning to shoot a fawn because it probably won't make it through the winter is weird to me. You don't know if that particular fawn will make it or not but it definitely won't if you shoot it. The more fawns that walk the more that make it to next year.

also after some of my own testing, i routinely piss in scrapes. last year for example, i knew of a scrape location from the year prior that hadn't been opened up yet so i decided to do it myself. used my foot to rake the leaves and pissed in it. 5 hours later two bucks showed up on the cam over that scrape checking it out. (cooincidence ? maybe but it sure didn't scare them off and that scrape continued to be used) from what i have read, our piss has testosterone in it which the deer can likely pick up and any human indicators evaporate within 30 minutes to an hour leaving behind the testosterone potentially upsetting the bucks. i will continue to do it.
    Last edited by parkcity; October 23rd, 2019 at 09:52 AM.
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parkcity View Post
    i'm not saying i won't shoot a doe or fawn because i will, but the reasoning to shoot a fawn because it probably won't make it through the winter is weird to me. You don't know if that particular fawn will make it or not but it definitely won't if you shoot it. The more fawns that walk the more that make it to next year.

also after some of my own testing, i routinely piss in scrapes. last year for example, i knew of a scrape location from the year prior that hadn't been opened up yet so i decided to do it myself. used my foot to rake the leaves and pissed in it. 5 hours later two bucks showed up on the cam over that scrape checking it out. (cooincidence ? maybe but it sure didn't scare them off and that scrape continued to be used) from what i have read, our piss has testosterone in it which the deer can likely pick up and any human indicators evaporate within 30 minutes to an hour leaving behind the testosterone potentially upsetting the bucks. i will continue to do it.
    Curious---And may sound dumb BUT
    When you piss in the scrape are you doing it with coloured pee or watered down pee....
    Pee with more Urine colour has more to it than clear urine...
    This I know as I am a diabetic and there is quite a difference?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymjt View Post
    Curious---And may sound dumb BUT
    When you piss in the scrape are you doing it with coloured pee or watered down pee....
    Pee with more Urine colour has more to it than clear urine...
    This I know as I am a diabetic and there is quite a difference?
    yeah i know what you're getting at but tbh i really don't know. i'm not exactly the most hydrated person out there so i would likely say not watered down... honestly i don't think about it much, i just piss in them and move on. can't comment on the diabetic part as i don't know but if there is medication involved then it could change things
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Around here, the deer need to be thinned out. I’ll shoot a big doe for sure...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast