Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: About to become a hunter

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default About to become a hunter

OK after many years of procrastinating mainly because I was not sure where I will hunt ...I finally decided to start the ball rolling...and when I decide for sure about something I want it NOW
    So I managed to find a place to do the two courses THIS weekend paid the deposit and if all goes by plan should be done with that first step by Sunday night (Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Ontario Hunter Education Course). Done tons of fishing for ages but haven't hunted...figured it should be as much or even more fun than fishing ha ha
    Anyhow...since I am starting from scratch I though I should post here for the first time and ask for advice and info...

- How can I speed up the process as fast as possible?
    - what will happen procedure wise after Sunday night?
    - When is the earliest I can start hunting?
    - What can I hunt for (I live west of GTA but have no issues traveling if need be)?
    - Should I start now or wait until next year?
    - What gun should I buy and from where?
    - How do I find quickly places to hunt?
    - What additional hunting equipment do I need to buy and from where so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to start?
    - I hear I may have missed the boat on this year's deer season (tags, etc.). Can I maybe go with someone who already has tags? If so when is the earliest I can do so?
    - Any other thing I have missed to ask but should know....please feel free to add to the list of questions.

Appreciate all answers...

Thanks,
    Ice Fisherman

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You have a lifetime of good times, frustration, good weather, bad weather, nasty weather, and of coarse success ahead of you.
    Slow down, enjoy the ride.

Some of your questions will be addressed during the courses.
    Once you have an idea of what you want to hunt, you can narrow down your list of questions and focus on one thing at a time. If you try and do it all, or even half, you will end up spinning wheels and go broke in the process.

Use this year, to plan for next fall and to start acquiring a few things specific to what you want to try first that will enable you go out safely next fall.

After the weekend decide what you want to try first.
    Deer
    Moose
    Upland
    Waterfowl

For each of those there are numerous ways to hunt each of them, and each has some specific needs and some over lapping needs. Start acquiring the things that overlap, starting with a good pair of boots and clothing you can wear in different conditions/environments, and so on.

My personal bias is spend where you have to, save where you can. What you wear will keep you warm and comfortable and worst case, safe. Start there, a nice rifle, Bow, Shot Gun does you no good if your staying home or going home early because its cold and wet.

When January hits, start buying some stuff because thats when the sales will start and more used equipment will come up for sale as well.
    Last edited by JBen; October 3rd, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

JBen,

thank you for the kind comments and encouragement. I know I am a bit impatient ha ha...understandably so
    I guess first things first though....someone mentioned in another post that there are ways to speed up obtaining the PAL license...Couldn't find specifically how? maybe someone can share? Don't want to waste time for paperwork and formalities after Sunday night ;-) Already got the CFSC book and read it in preparation for the course on the weekend.
    Anyhow...would appreciate any other input from what I can see is quite a knowledgeable hunting membership here.

Cheers,
    Ice Fisherman

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Congrats on your decision. To answer a couple of your questions.....

1st Off - Take your time in acquiring gear. Don't go crazy buying everything that looks cool, or you will have a closet full of stuff you never use.

Where to hunt..... a thread that was posted here by a new member a day or 2 ago.... County ,Conservation, Crown Properties. (http://www.oodmag.com/community/show...ghlight=County)

As for when you can start.... Once you write your exam, you can take your paperwork to the MNR and get a hunting licence immediately, but it will be some time before you have your PAL and are able to acquire or possess a gun.

If you want to start deer hunting this year it is not too late. IMHO, your best option is to get a crossbow and a good target. You don't need a PAL, and they are relatively quick and easy to learn and use. You can still buy a Buck tag, anytime up till December 31st, and in some areas you can buy an additional tag that is good for a Doe too.

Good Luck
    Last edited by HuntCamp'r; October 3rd, 2013 at 07:24 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

When you go ice fishing to a remote lake do you watch the sides of the trail on the way in? Do you sit so you can face the shore and see what is moving around? What about the birds overhead, are they hawks or crows? If you are doing all these, then you are already hunting! You just might want to refine your actions and be able to shoot a rabbit beside the trail, or learn how a deer feeds along the lakeshore etc.
    Keep your eyes open and your mind in gear for what is happening around you. This is the joy of hunting. If you are lucky then you will also bring home some meat.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can call to have your PAL rushed through the issuing process... helps if you can convince them you require it for work. Even rushed though, it's unlikely you'd have it in time for this whitetail firearm season.

I'd echo HuntCamp'r's suggestion of a good crossbow. A good quality one with good quality bolts/heads and sufficient practice is usually lethal on most ON game up to 50 yards. That's the distance most whitetails are shot with guns anyways. Just remember the PRACTICE part.

It also allows you to go after wild turkey, bear, moose without having to worry about numerous firearms. Just about the only things you couldn't use it for would be grouse and coyote.
    Roosted ain't Roasted.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Congrats on your decision - did the same thing myself. Like you , once I decided I wanted to hunt, I wanted everything to be done right away. Unfortunately it takes a bit of time to get all the courses, licensing, paperwork, etc... done. I did my firearms safety course in mid-July, and sent my PAL application (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f.../index-eng.htm) by courier the next day. I sent the application before receiving my stamped test results back from the firearms office. Once the test results came back to me (about 2 weeks later), I called the RCMP and asked for a fax number, sent the results, then called again to confirm they received everything. My PAL came on in mid-September, which seemed like forever, but was really not that bad(I did my hunter ed. in August).

I'd heard that sending in the PAL application before the test results came back and calling the RCMP every couple of weeks speeds up the process, but I'm not sure if it made much of a difference. There is a page on RCMP website that you can check on the status of your application, but I couldn't get it to work, so I used the old one: https://secure.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/eCFISI...dvD!1255071094

Cheers,

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I've posted this a few times, here is the process to shorten PAL approval times.

It is possible to shorten the time typically required for PAL approval. Even if you are not in a hurry, you should monitor your application. Waits of 4 and 5 months have been reported in other threads.

Once you have mailed in your PAL application (either first time or renewal), you can log into the CFC (Canada Firearms Centre) website to check your application status:
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/o...pp_dem-eng.htm
    It will not usually appear online for about two weeks after receipt by CFC.

One way to shorten this period is to send your application registered mail (with receipt required) so that you know when it is delivered to CFC in Miramichi.
    Following receipt by CFC, (and before it appears online), you can phone the CFC to confirm delivery. It usually appears online the next day.

The telephone number for the CFC line is 1-800-731-4000.
    Although located in New Brunswick, the office hours are 9:00 to 5:00 in your time zone.

By the way, if you call the CFC line, as you work your way through the options, you are advised that you should wait 45 days before making any inquiries. Don't pay attention to that if you want to move your application along.

There is another part of the message that says there may be a delay if some info is missing but "be assured you will be contacted by CFC staff". That is complete bs, they will not contact you and ask for the missing info. They will send you a form letter advising you to call in or your application will be cancelled; it won't tell you what info they require. That will add two weeks to your wait, because that is how long it will take them to get the form letter issued.

If you are a first time applicant and face a 28 day waiting period this does not mean that you need to wait 28 days before making any inquiries. Processing can occur during the 28 day period so that on day 28 final approval can be granted.

The 28 day waiting period starts from the date the application is received by the CFC, not the date it appears online. (Staff at CFC may advise it is the online date but this information is wrong.) The 28 day wait provision is statutory, it is specified in the Regulations to the Firearms Act. The time starts from date the application is made, and that is the date received by CFC (not the date mailed) and this is the practice the CFC follows, however not all clerks understand this.

If you are renewing a PAL or "upgrading" from a POL or a PAL there is no 28 day waiting period.

Once it is online the application will show up as in the "processing" stage, which means it is sitting until someone at CFC reviews the application looking for missing information. When that phase is complete it is listed online as "in progress" which means in a queue for someone to contact the applicant and references.

The reason you want to get your app. online and into the processing stage is that until you do that it is just sitting in a pile somewhere, yes the clock has started for the 28 day period but nothing is being done with your application. Better to get it into the system.

If any information is missing your application gets put in another queue and sits until someone mails you a standard form letter that indicates you must contact CFC by a certain date or your application will be dropped. The process of sending this letter out can take 10 days plus another 4 or 5 for it to be delivered if you live in the west.

If you haven't been contacted by CFC after a few days into the processing stage, give them a call and inquire if there are any deficiencies or missing information. If there is a missed question you can provide that missing information to them over the phone. They may then offer to transfer you to have an interview conducted on the spot. Again, you need to ignore the message that tells you not to check on the status of your application until 30 days have elapsed.

Once your phone interview is done, ask them for your file number and then have your references call in (toll free 1-800-731-4000) with that file number to do their interviews.

If you are applying for a non-restricted PAL you and your references may not have phone interviews, but if you want a restricted PAL both you and your references will be interviewed.

After all the information is confirmed and interviews are complete the appropriate provincial CFO is responsible for actual approval.

[If you live in Alberta you can call the CFO office immediately (same toll free number as CFC) and inquire about the status and there is a good chance they will approve it over the phone. Alberta CFO does not take calls on Wednesdays, that is processing day so plan around that if you can.]

[For Ontario residents: you can send in your application before you get your stamped CFSC firearms course results back from the Ontario CFO and get the 28 day waiting period started earlier than if you wait and attach the results to the application. Questions 20(a) and (b) each have a box to check if the exam results are enclosed, so you would just leave that blank. Probably also worthwhile to include a note that exam results will follow. The 28 day clock starts once the application is received by CFC. If you wait until you get your 'stamped' safety course report(s) back you have added that to your waiting period, and it is often about 6 weeks.]

Once your application is approved by your provincial CFO the CFC will print the licence and mail it to you. Normally Friday is the day that all printing and mailing is done. If you check online and see the message:
    "Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canada Firearms Centre Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)" then congratulations.
    Depending on the day it is approved there may be a delay until it is printed and the mail system means it can take another week to arrive.

In the meantime you can contact your provincial CFO and ask for your PAL number. Even the Ontario CFO gives out this information.

Other info:
    Send in an original signed application, not a photocopy.
    Use Form CAFC 979 for a renewal of a PAL or POL.
    Use Form CAFC 921 for a new PAL or if your PAL has expired.
    Form 921 requires exam results and two references which form 979 does not require, so make sure you renew with Form 979 well before your PAL expires.

If you have lived with a conjugal partner for a year or more they should also sign the application as a spouse, if they don't they will be contacted by CFC to see if there are any concerns and this will delay the approval process.

Finally, if you are applying for a restricted PAL tell your references why you are doing so, namely target shooting since Canada does not permit carrying restricted firearms for self-defense except for very limited cases. There have been some recent interviews where the reference has been asked to speculate why the applicant is applying for an restricted PAL and whether or not it is for self-defense, so best to have your reference prepared to answer such speculative questions correctly.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Canadian Waterfowl Supplies Pro Staff | Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

Member for Life

User Info Menu

How do we get the above post made into a STICKY ? Great info

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icefisherman View Post
    - How can I speed up the process as fast as possible?
    TurkeyRookie has dealt with this the best so I'll skip it.
    - what will happen procedure wise after Sunday night?
    Take the paperwork confirming your completion of BOTH courses down to the nearest MNR office and get yourself a temporary H1 version outdoors card. While you're there, you can buy licenses for whatever you want to hunt this year.
    - When is the earliest I can start hunting?
    If you get a crossbow, you can start hunting with it immediately after doing what I said above. If you want to hunt with guns, well... technically you can do so as soon as you have that H1 card and hunting license, but only using somoene else's gun while under their direct supervision; there are limited opportunities for that in real-life hunting scenarios, so gun hunting may have to wait until your PAL comes in the mail and you've done some gun shopping.
    - What can I hunt for (I live west of GTA but have no issues traveling if need be)?
    Whatever you're invited on a hunt for, whatever you're offered property access to hunt on, whatever you've located tracks of on huntable public land, or whatever makes your heart beat and your stomach rumble. Although for turkey you need another course. Don't go on a big game hunt without thinking through the logistics, ie what are you gonna do with the beast once its down. You don't even need to leave the 905/519 for anything except moose, elk and bear (there are even huntable bears with 519 phone numbers on the Bruce).
    - Should I start now or wait until next year?
    Depends on opportunities I guess. You might find that between waiting for the PAL, shopping for firearms, and doing your research, this year's coming to an end; on the other hand if someone invites you on a hunt and you've already got what you need, go for it. Also remember that depending where you are, some animals have seasons that continue past the end of December (eg rabbits, grouse, waterfowl), so you can hunt them after Jan 1 on a 2014 small-game license.
    - What gun should I buy and from where?
    Totally depends what you're interested in hunting obviously. One school of thought is, just get a 12 ga shotgun, you can use it for anything. I'm not really into that line of thinking, because while it CAN be used for anything, it's not optimal for everything, especially if you're trying to use one gun for all species... you could end up buying all sorts of specialized barrels and sights and stuff for your one shotgun. Another common approach is to buy one shotgun, one centrefire rifle and one rimfire rifle (oh, and a crossbow). That's the approach I took, and I went for inexpensive models from reputable names (to whit a Remington 870 Express in 12 ga, a Savage Axis in .30-06, and a Savage Mark II in .22 LR). No sense in investing a fortune in your first guns, before you've figured out what's best for you.

But if you tell us what/where you're most interested in hunting, people on this forum will have TONS of gun suggestions.
    - How do I find quickly places to hunt?
    Look into the rules on public lands you know of. Some provincial parks, county forests, etc allow hunting while others don't. Provincial Wildlife Management Areas always allow hunting, but some have special rules while others don't. Crown land with no special designation is huntable, but hard to come by west of the GTA. Access to private property for hunting can be a godsend, especially in areas where huntable public land is in short supply and high demand. To this end, DO NOT keep your new hobby a secret! Bring it up casually in conversation. Even if none of your friends hunt, you never know who might have a sister in the country whose garden is overrun with rabbits, an uncle looking for new blood at moose camp, or a farmer neighbour who lets hunters use his field if they ask politely.

And don't be afraid to politely ask those farmers, even if you don't have a lead.
    - What additional hunting equipment do I need to buy and from where so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to start?
    Aside from firearms and ammo? A blaze orange hat and vest, a flashlight, some string/rope and a small, sharp knife. Everything else depends on what you're hunting and how much you like shopping, and for the most part it's not as necessary.
    - I hear I may have missed the boat on this year's deer season (tags, etc.). Can I maybe go with someone who already has tags? If so when is the earliest I can do so?
    Once you have your H1 outdoors card you can buy a deer license. The license will come with a tag that can be used on a buck, anywhere in the province. You can also use your deer license to party hunt with someone and share tags with them (for example they may have an either-sex tag for a certain WMU). Some WMUs might even have "additional tags" available for purchase after you have your first tag, which may be for bucks, does or both. So yes you can hunt deer this year if you get it organized, of course you'll be limited to crossbow unless you get your PAL and buy your gun in time for gun season. The one thing you're too late for is deer hunting in a controlled hunt.
    - Any other thing I have missed to ask but should know....please feel free to add to the list of questions.
    That's what the course is for

Oh, and one comment about crossbows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddmott View Post
    Just about the only things you couldn't use it for would be grouse and coyote.
    Actually, the only thing you legally couldn't use a crossbow for is migratory birds, just because their regs are set by the feds who don't happen to include crossbows as an acceptable form of archery hunting (they only allow shotguns and longbows, I believe). Coyotes are occasionally taken with crossbows, though getting that close to one usually happens by accident, and there are specially designed arrowheads for things like grouse (mostly for up north where grouse are less skittish and more likely to hold still while you aim). Deer are the most popular target for crossbows because most of southern/central Ontario has a HUGE difference between the rifle and archery season length (one or two weeks, vs 3 months), followed by moose because some WMUs up north do have an archery season before the gun season. After that probably bears, because although there's no archery-only season for them, they are often hunted in ways that are compatible with crossbows/bows (over bait, from treestands etc).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast