Thread: Question about trail cameras

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Question about trail cameras

I set up 2 trail cameras, to try to catch who ever it is trying to get into my back shed.
    1 camera is on the side fence , the other is in my garage facing out through the glass window .
    The camera on the fence picks up every thing, cats, racoons, skunks ,rabbits, and yes in the middle of Port Dover, coyotes, on a regular basis .
    The one in the garage picks up none of this.
    Do they not work going through glass, I've even set it at an angle, and it still dose not work

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I've never tried to take a pic through glass so I really can't say what will happen. I can see the flash reflecting though. For a start swap your cameras and if the same thing happens you will have your answer.

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sometimes the most simple logic is what works.
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    I've never tried to take a pic through glass so I really can't say what will happen. I can see the flash reflecting though. For a start swap your cameras and if the same thing happens you will have your answer.

Cheers

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    I set up 2 trail cameras, to try to catch who ever it is trying to get into my back shed.
    1 camera is on the side fence , the other is in my garage facing out through the glass window .
    The camera on the fence picks up every thing, cats, racoons, skunks ,rabbits, and yes in the middle of Port Dover, coyotes, on a regular basis .
    The one in the garage picks up none of this.
    Do they not work going through glass, I've even set it at an angle, and it still dose not work
    I set one up in my living room looking at the front entrance/door and no pictures.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The PIR sensor doesn't usually pick up the heat signature through glass. Can you open the window? You might have success detecting through a screen.
    So many critters & so little time to hunt......

Just starting out

User Info Menu

So ,I switched cameras ,no joy. I guess I know the answer to my question. Thanks for the comeback guys.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Ya gotta lov those cameras. Buddy set one up in his back yard to catch whoever was leaving the hot tub on after using it. He caught his neighbor and his wife and they weren't the least bit concerned who left it on.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

ASSUMING they work the same way a thermal camera does it won't work with glass.

I had some issues with the house and got one of the Seek Thermal cameras for my phone.
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/92194...thermal-camera

I noticed when checking a suspected area from the outside a "ghost" in the window .... it was my reflection. I also used it to look at some issues at a friends and he was doing renovation and had ceramic tiles against the wall, they reflected to creating that "ghost" again. Glass may as well be a mirror to a thermal camera and I ASSUME that it is similar on the cameras.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL2avY3RIPE