Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Not your average new Excalibur cross bow

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointer View Post
    When it happened to me the doe was confused by the "twang" she heard from above and the "thunk" she heard behind her when my arrow stuck in a log. She ran in a circle and eventually settled back down to nibbling plants. But she busted me in my tree stand on the "click" when I re-c0cked my crossbow. That led to one of those stare-downs that 9 times out of 10 does not go the hunter's way. But the hunting gods were on my side that day
    haha, i know the stare downs way to well, like theyre looking into your soul LOL i sometimes forget to breathe LMFAO

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Why knock on them for innovation? I'm sure tons of people balked at them when they came out with micros at first as well and having started with an older vortex the move to a lighter and smaller framed micro was a welcomed improvement.

I also own a compound bow but living in the city with limited range access makes frequent practice a challenge so xbow allows me to get out for an extended season that would otherwise be out of reach if they weren't allowed. Should I be denied participation in the bow season because I use a xbow instead of a compound / recurve / long bow?

Show me the science that xbow results in higher population impacts (via success or wounding) vs other means and you could make a case. Perhaps long bow should have the longest season with shorter seasons for other means as efficacy of weapons increases as that should be the basis really.

In terms of maintaining a position that hunting with XYZ weapon makes you a superior hunter and all others are inferior is just a silly argument. I am sure spear hunters and atlatl purists could make the case their method requires far more practice, dedication and are far better hunters than the more modern recurve hunter.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I'll also add that just because xcal has come out with this product doesn't mean you will be able to hunt with it. Governments could easily not make this a permissible weapon if they desire.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Why do people keep calling firearms, crossbows etc., “ weapons” ?????
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Legally hunting with a gun, bow etc does not constitute using a weapon where the law is concerned but in the broader sense of the English language the definition of weapon is:

any object used to harm, injure or kill.

When I put an animal in my freezer using any tool, that tool is a weapon where the English language is concerned.

Regardless of the image it portrays in plain and simple terms I use a weapon to kill animals so I can eat them. Any attempt to soften that image is just semantics IMHO.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim:....ie: normally used in regards to Humans....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Legally hunting with a gun, bow etc does not constitute using a weapon where the law is concerned but in the broader sense of the English language the definition of weapon is:

When I put an animal in my freezer using any tool, that tool is a weapon where the English language is concerned.

Regardless of the image it portrays in plain and simple terms I use a weapon to kill animals so I can eat them. Any attempt to soften that image is just semantics IMHO.
    Weapon... noun
    a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
    "nuclear weapons"

It may be semantics, but to the anti gun crowd, it furthers their bias. Reminds me of a good friend who was a Master Hunter Safety Instructor, of military background. When one of his students referred to their firearm as a “weapon”, he forcefully reminded them that they were not “weapons”...
    But, back to the topic !!!
    Last edited by rick_iles; January 6th, 2021 at 04:16 PM.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Weapon... noun
    "nuclear weapons"

It may be semantics, but to the anti gun crowd, it furthers their bias. Reminds me of a good friend who was a Master Hunter Safety Instructor, of military background. When one of his students referred to their firearm as a “weapon”, he forcefully reminded them that they were not “weapons”...
    In boot Camp we used to see guys forced to stand on a table in the mess hall and chant:

This is my rifle..... this is my Gun (pointing at crouch)
    This is for shooting..... this is for fun...

one of the first thing a soldier learns HaHa...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Weapon... noun
    "nuclear weapons"

But, back to the topic !!!
    Where the antis are concerned I highly doubt playing semantics or calling something a tool versus weapon makes any difference.

Just like harvest vs kill - semantics. I kill animals. Farmers harvest crops and when they send an animal to be butchered pretty sure that they don't say they are harvesting cows.
    Last edited by Species8472; January 6th, 2021 at 04:24 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Because when you are using it for hunting they are by their very definition weapons.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast