Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would this be considered any differently than a crossbow? Traditions XBR

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I love it! If that would be allowed for bow hunting I’d use it. My first thought though was what happens if a deer is below you and you need to aim down? Would the arrow fall out? Creep down a bit?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The rubber 'O' ring at the base of the arrow will hold it...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marky.mark View Post
    I love it! If that would be allowed for bow hunting I’d use it. My first thought though was what happens if a deer is below you and you need to aim down? Would the arrow fall out? Creep down a bit?
    I am sure that is already part of the design.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

This is definitely not a crossbow or a long bow and therefore is not a bow and would not be eligible for use in a bows-only season as per S. 82.

I'm not sure that it fits any of the prohibitions under S. 75. It is rim-fire but not likely a rifle. It is a firearm so it is not prohibited by S. 83.

Is it a rim-fire shotgun? If so it looks like it is legal, but I don't know for certain.

Relevant sections of O. Reg. 665-98 (Hunting):

75. A person shall not use a rifle known as a rim-fire rifle, a shotgun smaller than 20 gauge when loaded with shot or any shotgun loaded with shot smaller than SG or number one buck for hunting big game. O. Reg. 665/98, s. 75.

82. A person shall not hunt big game with a bow unless it is a crossbow or long-bow, used with an arrow or bolt, that meet the following requirements:

1. The crossbow must have,

i. a draw length of at least 300 millimetres, and

ii. a draw weight, at the release latch mechanism or at some point between the release latch mechanism and the point of string rest, of,

A. at least 45 kilograms when woodland caribou or deer are being hunted, or

B. at least 54 kilograms when bear, American elk or moose are being hunted.

2. The long-bow must have a draw weight, at some point between a draw length of 700 millimetres and the point of string rest, of,

i. at least 18 kilograms when woodland caribou or deer are being hunted, or

ii. at least 22 kilograms when bear, American elk or moose are being hunted.

3. The arrow must,

i. be at least 600 millimetres in length, and

ii. have a head that is at least 22 millimetres at its widest part and that has at least two sharp cutting edges.

4. The bolt must have a head that is at least 22 millimetres at its widest part and that has at least two sharp cutting edges. O. Reg. 442/16, s. 8.

83. A person shall not hunt big game with a weapon other than a firearm. O. Reg. 665/98, s. 83.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I would assume it would be considered a gun. It uses a percussion cap/blank .22 for propulsion and shoots a bolt instead of an bullet.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would think loading would be a recipe for slicing finger tips

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    I would think loading would be a recipe for slicing finger tips
    I am sure there is a way to do it, maybe a loading tool, I did think the same think though.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I am sure there is a way to do it, maybe a loading tool, I did think the same think though.
    I thought of perhaps the broadhead holding tool, but I feel like it would be too easy to absently mindedly touch it, or forget that its there (thinking its a gun).

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Neat idea. I don’t think it qualifies as either bow or rifle, it’s going to need a category all to itself.
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Not a bow of any kind whatsoever,a bow uses the stored energy of bowed limbs.This is a firearm that uses gunpowder to launch a projectile that just happens to be tipped with a broadhead.
    Not to say it’s totally illegal,ie; if there is an open firearm season for bear or deer whatever,have at’er,but can’t see it being legal anywhere in North America during any bow only season,it’s not a bow at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123