Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask a C/O, spring time training

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I believe there is a benefit to permits, by applying for a permit the mnrf knows who I am, what I'm doing, where and when. This is due diligence for my part and the mnrf's.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I believe making scapegoats out of, or blaming hunting dog training for the decline of the woodcock population will not help the woodcock population in anyway.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Did you get a training permit from the MNR for woodcock or ruffed grouse?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Guys, if you don't like the modding on here you can always volunteer.
    I'll also say that with our preponderance of game laws no one, including CO's has a handle on every aspect of scenarios or 'what if' scenarios they may encounter. People unknowingly can and do carry on with certain activities that may contravene those laws. It's what they do after finding out they're acting illegally that defines their character.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The only trial permits I've ever personally seen for "game birds" are for Ring-necked Pheasant (an introduced species in Ontario, but still considered a game bird under the FWCA). I've never seen one that allows hunting Ruffed Grouse during closed season. Please correct me if you've ever seen one for grouse. Woodcock are migratory birds under the MBCA, under federal (CWS) control. OMNR has nothing to do with migratory birds under the provincial act and would not be capable of issuing any permit for Woodcock. The Game Officers at CWS that I spoke to said there are no Woodcock permits.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We understand that this is a contentious issue, here is some information from the August 2020 issue you may find this useful to the discussion.

Click Ask a CO August 2020 for a larger image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AleshaOOD; April 8th, 2021 at 12:31 PM.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AleshaOOD View Post
    We understand that this is a contentious issue, here is some information from the August 2020 issue you may find this useful to the discussion.

Click Ask a CO August 2020 for a larger image.
    That was already posted by the OP in the first post of this thread and from what I can figure it comes down to whether using an already trained dog strictly for the purpose of photography could be interpreted as hunting.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampsinger View Post
    I believe making scapegoats out of, or blaming hunting dog training for the decline of the woodcock population will not help the woodcock population in anyway.

I'm afraid you are right. Habitat loss is the biggest concern and I'll be witnessing it first hand. The property I've been doing most of my woodcock and grouse hunting on has recently been purchased by Simcoe county. I've watch this property slowly turn from a active family farm 40 years ago to essentially an abandoned farm stead. Over time nature reclaimed alot of the field creating the ideal edge habitat for woodcock with still open areas for their spring dance. It has always been a spot where I could find 5-6 broods in the fall. With the purchase though things will be changing. Spoke to the forestry manager last fall on site and asked what the plan was as I'd hope they would continue to let nature thrive. However his response was heart breaking. Fields will be plowed back to the mature forest edge, planted in soybean this year in preparation planting red and white pine plantation. Asked him why destroy such important upland habitat in favour of pine plantation his response people want to see trees.
    So ya all this rhetoric will drive those that are truly passionate about this bird further underground making an already obscure bird more invisible leaving none to say forget the trees we want to see more birds.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    I..................................How many dog trainers are aware that woodcock are on the nest, right now incubating eggs ?(at least on my property in Fenelon Falls on April 2nd this year. Peak peenting and dancing has already passed at my place). How many are still running dogs on the birds this week?
    In the same vein, rabbits breed in February , but hunting is still permitted, and we wonder why we see fewer and fewer rabbits. Certainly as global warming has shown to muck with the length of seasons too, MNR has to make changes.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    from what I can figure it comes down to whether using an already trained dog strictly for the purpose of photography could be interpreted as hunting.
    Finally someone who has asked the right question.
    If a woodcock hasn't been flushed has it been "hunted"
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kPqtRt]
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; April 8th, 2021 at 03:19 PM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast