Thread: Snaring Rabbits

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Snaring Rabbits

Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm generally new to hunting and doing lots of reading online about various topics. Today I read online that as a resident with a small game license I'm able to snare rabbits, given I use the appropriate size/material of wire and a 10" or less loop. The person in the video said in the winter time, but I haven't been able to locate this in the regs perhaps I'm missing it somewhere. There wasn't dates specified in the video and I'm sure there was more that he may have missed. Im just trying to educate myself on ways to fill my freezer legally and find ways to spend more time with my family outside.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

If you look at the summary under general regulations there is a small section about snares page 27

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can snare rabbits anytime the season is open, some townships may also require you to buy a snare license. However you cannot snare rabbits south of the Mattawa and French River.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    However you CANNOT snare rabbits south of the Mattawa and French River.
    Pay attention to this range line. It is clearly stated in the regs
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    Pay attention to this range line. It is clearly stated in the regs
    Im about as far north in this province as you want to go. Well above the line.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DataPak420 View Post
    Im about as far north in this province as you want to go. Well above the line.

Where might that be? I have been a lot further north than most "want to go" ha ha ha.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Where might that be? I have been a lot further north than most "want to go" ha ha ha.
    Halfway between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie. I lived in Kitchener for a short period, would tell people I'm from Northern Ontario and they would generally reply with "Oh like Perry Sound". But I also met a few that knew where I was talking about.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DataPak420 View Post
    Halfway between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie. I lived in Kitchener for a short period, would tell people I'm from Northern Ontario and they would generally reply with "Oh like Perry Sound". But I also met a few that knew where I was talking about.

Mom grew up near Kap, growing up Barrie was north, ha ha ha.

I was able to take a day trip with my mom and grandpa up to Little Long Rapids, that is about 10 miles from the swamp that goes all the way to James Bay, furthest north in Ontario. Also had the opportunity to work 6 hours north by pickup from Yellowknife on the ice road, was very cool, makes you realize how small you really are.

As an aside, my grandpa worked for Miller when the highway went in through White River, they used to put their wages down on not watching a fish there.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

My youngest boy worked for a several months over a couple years in Quebec the furthest northern part along the NW passage. We enjoyed seeing different animals then you would normally see. But he didn't think it was right to be snowing on Canada Day.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    My youngest boy worked for a several months over a couple years in Quebec the furthest northern part along the NW passage. We enjoyed seeing different animals then you would normally see. But he didn't think it was right to be snowing on Canada Day.
    In Ontario it can snow in every month of the year, you don't have to go that far north for snow in July, ha ha.

That would have been an experience for him for sure, never to be forgotten.