Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible ice season

Leads by example

User Info Menu

2102 Grief Terrible ice season

Lake St Clair and Rondeau Bay are a right off this season for ice fishing. Very sketchy ice at best and the little we have had was walkable only.

Good thing for Simcoe or my gear would not have been used at all this season
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I haven’t been ice fishing for about five years. I used to put a permanent hut on simcoe.
    We need a place to go with good ice and fish.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

No better down the road here in Norfolk County on the inner bay of Long Point

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been an ice incident on Simcoe, yet! So far so good. Can't say I've done well on Cooks Bay this year but then I haven't been out much.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

was out on cook's bay saturday-not even a bite after 6 hours-been very weird year

Leads by example

User Info Menu

We did ok at Virginia Beach at few weeks back. The numbers were down from last year but the quality was up
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GERRYL View Post
    was out on cook's bay saturday-not even a bite after 6 hours-been very weird year
    Wow that sounds like sibalds last year lol.
    The cold front moved in Saturday definitely slowed the bite but not to a skunk. Thought that was impossible on cooks with so many dinks [emoji1787]
    Were you in a permanent hut? Or did you move around much?

Hope your next outing is much better dont give up on cooks there are plenty of jumbos in the bay. Just got to find them.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    I haven’t been ice fishing for about five years. I used to put a permanent hut on simcoe.
    We need a place to go with good ice and fish.
    Been plenty if ice the past few years where are you trying to get your hut to the middle grounds ?? Old slyville lol. Last year we had good ice and the year before we had 6 to 8 inches of good black ice on the opener in Jackson's point. Some of the cracks have been pretty horrible for a few days here and there though.

2013 was a bust year only a few got out before she busted open from the 60 km winds . Froze late February and was gone the beginning of March.

Then it was 2016 or 2017 when the east side opened up leaving gaps between the ice a few hundred ft wide in spots. With 8 plus inches of solid ice . The operators took the huts off and a week later was good to go lol. Short seasons yes a couple but not all.

I'm mainly speaking of the jacksons point area. When the old cat snow groomers are out there the ice is good [emoji106] well most of the time I have seen it under water [emoji1787]. I think it was last year I was watching the 2 groomers the big one and little one trying to cross the main crack. It was iffy if he was going to make it. I had my eyes glued . But it must wight a few tons lol.
    Last edited by fishfood; February 10th, 2020 at 04:31 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    Lake St Clair and Rondeau Bay are a right off this season for ice fishing. Very sketchy ice at best and the little we have had was walkable only.

Good thing for Simcoe or my gear would not have been used at all this season
    Look at the bright side, look at all the fish being left in the lake. It needs it every once and a while. Herd a few days ago the great lakes are only 9 percent frozen. They should be 55 to 60 percent frozen. .

You should get in another trip to simcoe or 2 make the most of the season.
    It's going to be mild again next week st Clair has little chance to gain much.

The spring fishing should be superb [emoji106]

Last edited by fishfood; February 10th, 2020 at 04:48 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Wow that sounds like sibalds last year lol.
    The cold front moved in Saturday definitely slowed the bite but not to a skunk. Thought that was impossible on cooks with so many dinks [emoji1787]
    Were you in a permanent hut? Or did you move around much?

Hope your next outing is much better dont give up on cooks there are plenty of jumbos in the bay. Just got to find them.

we were in rental hut - never been skunked before -usually 25-30 small ones would be a bad day
    but not even a bite is bad. maybe bring the auger next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast