Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in the Bush

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattadam View Post
    I have nothing against LEO'S and I am not trying to start a poop storm so please bear with me. When I took the RPAL course in the spring, both instructors are retired police officers and they told us that most LEO'S are only trained on their service firearms. They said that by the end of the RPAL course we would have more knowledge then most LEO'S about firearms in general (just by taking the required courses to be a firearm owner)
    Very true,we went 20 years using .38 Smith and Wesson,s and our annual qualification was 6 practise shots at 10 yards and six for the qualifier.

If you wanted trained on a 12 qa shotgun you did another half day.

I know lots of officers who went to houses to secure estate guns myself included and we did not know how to safety the various guns.

The standard procedure was to call in the ETF and have them safety the firearms.

The only exceptions were the boys off the farm and hunters on the job who knew the long guns.But ask them to safety a WW2 Lugar and you might want to step out of the room.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have nothing against LEO'S and I am not trying to start a poop storm so please bear with me. When I took the RPAL course in the spring, both instructors are retired police officers and they told us that most LEO'S are only trained on their service firearms. They said that by the end of the RPAL course we would have more knowledge then most LEO'S about firearms in general (just by taking the required courses to be a firearm owner)
    Your instructors were correct !

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

They also won't tell you that a startling number of range accidents are attributed to LEOs. Usually in the drawing or holstering of a loaded weapon.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have seen in the real world what a 40 cal will, and more importantly won't do. If I was that afraid of the bush that I felt I needed to carry a firearm for protection, it certainly wouldn't be a handgun !

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    They also won't tell you that a startling number of range accidents are attributed to LEOs. Usually in the drawing or holstering of a loaded weapon.
    Thankfully, or luckily, there haven't been many injuries. I can only think of one, and that was recently.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    A number of years ago I did an OPP firearms qualification course up in Aurora. There was this one female that had people jumping for cover. They had us shoot the .38 SW, the Mini Ruger 14 and then the shotgun, single handed. They snuck a magnum load in there but you didn't know which one was the mag load until you fired. This tiny female fired and that shot gun went all over the place ..LOL People were running for the hills and ducking/diving for cover!LOL She was just as bad with the .38. I think that thing pointed at every one of us at one point or the other.
    Last I heard she was working out of Burlington detachment.
    Rick

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I agree nobody should own any guns as they can kill. We should ban all guns completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Agreed, the only people who should have hand guns are those in uniform. The reason being is that those individuals go through extensive testing and training, and are also monitored constantly by their peers. Whereas Joe Q Public has no effective monitoring, if you doubt the effect of this just take a walk through any crown land in WMU 87 on a long weekend. On one occasion I counted over 100 rounds going off and heard rounds zip past me, later I found empty 223 boxes. Those individuals showed an absolute lack of self discipline which would only be compounded with the addition of hand guns to the mix.

As a former resident of the UK I can say that we in Canada have the best hunting opportunities I have seen, the hunting in Europe is a pay-per-use system only for the rich. We as hunters must maintain a level of respect and defence against that type of system (ie anti hunters). As part of that, being able to compromise and quietly go about our business will help ensure the longevity of the sport.

Just my 2 cents.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Jeebus murphy . A gun is a gun is a gun. One is no more dangerous than the other be it a short stubby one or a long skinny one. As far as I am concerned once you pass all the required courses and the background checks it should not matter what type of gun you own or use. To hear other gun owners say we should or should not be allowed to own and use specefic types is stomach turning to say the least. You are either trusted to own and use firearms or you are not.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter John View Post
    Jeebus murphy . A gun is a gun is a gun. One is no more dangerous than the other be it a short stubby one or a long skinny one. As far as I am concerned once you pass all the required courses and the background checks it should not matter what type of gun you own or use. To hear other gun owners say we should or should not be allowed to own and use specefic types is stomach turning to say the least. You are either trusted to own and use firearms or you are not.
    Wasn't gonna chime in, but you read my mind. So what John said. I'm out.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    I find myself in the agreeable position of agreeing with all of you except iggy,which is not unusual as I dont think I have ever agreed with one single thing he has ever said.

I have always supported CC by properly trained individuals.There is no reason why a trapper,prospector, or any number of outdoor users should not have the use of handguns.I keep my avatar around the cabin to give me a heads up on bears.But I,am not to sure if he would stand to a bear or run for the hills.I would probably feel a lot more comfortable with a 40 cal Glock.
    Pretty sure I saw your avatar out for a run today with his owner , the dog looks good but the owner ,,,, not so much. Lol.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast