Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shore Lunch

Big Chris

Hey Marky, I've been fishing for 45 yrs. my PB Pike was 42 lbs. caught in Thompson, Manitoba. No shortage of pike, fun to catch, I just do not like eating them!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

bacon wrapped walleye....MMmmmm.

This is how I'll be doing some of the shore lunches this summer.....a lot healthier than the 4-6 lbs of lard I normally use.

I think I saw this somewhere here....but this is what I did on the Q at home recently.

Cheers,

Paul

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

^^^RECIPE PLEASE^^^

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Sorry about that....

I marinated the walleye fillets for a night in roasted red pepper and tomato dressing and whatever spices I had.

Put the skewers in water for a couple of hours to help them not burn.

Wrapped fillets in bacon and skewer on sticks.

Cook on a low temp. so the bacon doesn't flare up.

The first time I did this, I used extra thick bacon. I changed the next time...found the bacon too over-powering to the fish and only used 1/2 a piece.

Cheers,

Paul

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Thanks, that looks great!

I'm going to try that, always looking for different methods to cook fish

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Olive oil, taste great and it's healthier.

SudburyAngler

Quote Originally Posted by Legacey View Post
    Here's a good idea with what's posted above, but instead of sausage, use fish.....

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I'll be trying this, this summer.

this sounds amazing lol. gotta try this one out i think

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post

Remove from Grilling basket from heat. With a fork gently separate bacon from grill wires prior to opening basket. Carefully remove pike from grilling basket, immediately throw it into the bush. Remove bacon and slice tomatoes, make a bacon and tomato sandwich, add alittle Mayo to taste, Enjoy!! I hate Pike!!!

Don't knock it until you try it with the bacon/grilling basket open fire method.
    I have heard your comments from many a diehard pike haters until they tried it this way.
    Some use to throw all their pike back and now they seem to keep a few hoping I will treat them to my bacon grilling basket open fire shore lunch.

Moose on the Brain

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by armdchar1/4buck View Post
    Don't knock it until you try it with the bacon/grilling basket open fire method.
    I have heard your comments from many a diehard pike haters until they tried it this way.
    Some use to throw all their pike back and now they seem to keep a few hoping I will treat them to my bacon grilling basket open fire shore lunch.

Next time I catch a decent pike up north I will sure try this.

I get tired of hearing people say 'I don't like .....(fill in the blank)" from pike, to ling (UGGGGly), to rabbit, to spruce grouse, to moose. I hate the words "Gamey" and "Fishy" when referring to taste. Most people who use these terms have not had the game in question properly prepared.

Also as long as the siver skin is removed and the pike is battered and fried I don't believe that anyone can really tell a difference. My Father-in-law likes to make his fish into fish nuggets, and mixes Pike and pickeral in the same batch and people will be there saying, "I don't like pike" meanwhile unknowingly eating pike thinking there is only pickeral in the basket in front of them. After the snack/meal is over and the ranting is done he will say "How did you like that pike you just ate."

I think many of the game fish that people say they don't like is because they are ugly (Ling), or hard to clean (Pike) and that is just too bad that people hae this attitude.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I like the bacon grease. It's basically lard anyways. Being italian i just top it up with some peanut oil that I have previously fried hot peppers in. Then my fish and canned potatoes (sliced), then my eggs (over easy). Delicious.
    Last edited by Mick; July 14th, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
    Mick
    Catch and Release. Obey the Limits. Eat a few small ones.
    Take pics of the big ones. Respect and care for our Outdoors.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast