Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone push for a lab?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteman View Post
    I have a roller now and he is a very good retriever. Got him from Little River Kennels in Yarmouth, NS. Depends on what kind of hunting you're doing but they're very good retrievers. Great family pets too. He's always gentle around little kids if that's something you're concerned about, also a little aloof so that's kinda helpful too. We got a rather large Toller (50lbs roughly) and he can handle pretty much anything you throw at him
    That is a big Toller. Do you have a picture to post? Very famous Toller kennel. You done good.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ebenezer View Post
    I try not to recommend any type of dog to any one. I love my labs but they are not the dog for some people. I don't recommend people get a certain breed because if it doesn't turn out then you are to blame. I will tell people about what I have done with my labs but tell them that they need to shop around and find out what breed is going to fit into their family, their interests and their perfered hunting. Some I would like to recommend some get a cat.
    LOL
    I personally see great value in a dog that knocks over kids.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Well I have seen a Lab trial and even thrown marks for them.
    My little vizsla had the lab guys shaking their heads at the speed in which he goes out and comes back with the duck.
    As far as geese go, 5 years of hunting ducks, geese and snows in Saskatchewan says he can handle the big birds quite well.
    The bonus being wing clipped sharps and sage grouse that fly off half a mile come back too because of the speed and tracking ability

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Labber View Post
    LOL
    I personally see great value in a dog that knocks over kids.
    Labber if you have a dog that can knock your Jack over its gonna eat the bird, the blind and any cows it comes across

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdnvizsla View Post
    Labber if you have a dog that can knock your Jack over its gonna eat the bird, the blind and any cows it comes across
    Port??? :-)

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have owned, trained and trialled pointers and setters over the years through NAVHDA and NSTRA I am yet to see one repeat any of the above tests when it is -10 and they have to swim through ice for it and then sit out and wait for the next bird to fall. I had my lab out last day of duck season and she had go over and under floating ice to make retrieves (I have seen both GSPs and GWPs fail in these conditions). I mean no offence to the pointer and setter people but I would never try to tell you my lab is better on grouse than your dogs.
    "I may not have gone where I was supposed to go, but I ended up where I was supposed to be"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The labs and chessies are the undisputed kings of the late season waterfowl and waterfowl in general.
    But in a field situation they don't carry the same speed as a pointer or setter and they can therefore get the job done faster.
    Having hunted snows in fields over pointers the speed makes a big difference on cripples.
    With 5 or 6 guns shooting its not uncommon to have double digits fall in a single volley.
    The speed makes a huge difference in cleaning up the cripples.

I have said it all along if your a waterfowler get a lab.

As to the -10 NAVHDA tests, I have had the misfortune of running a UT test when the dog had to break ice to do the duck search and the retrieve. The dog did it with no issues but he didn't spend any more time out of the truck then he needed to so he stayed warm

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter1 View Post
    I have owned, trained and trialled pointers and setters over the years through NAVHDA and NSTRA I am yet to see one repeat any of the above tests when it is -10 and they have to swim through ice for it and then sit out and wait for the next bird to fall. I had my lab out last day of duck season and she had go over and under floating ice to make retrieves (I have seen both GSPs and GWPs fail in these conditions). I mean no offence to the pointer and setter people but I would never try to tell you my lab is better on grouse than your dogs.
    Very well said and I agree.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlygreig View Post
    You asked... We told ya... Lol... Get what suits you...
    This can go on for days LOL
    Life is to short to hunt with a ugly dog
    LabsRule

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdnvizsla View Post
    Well I have seen a Lab trial and even thrown marks for them.
    My little vizsla had the lab guys shaking their heads at the speed in which he goes out and comes back with the duck.
    As far as geese go, 5 years of hunting ducks, geese and snows in Saskatchewan says he can handle the big birds quite well.
    The bonus being wing clipped sharps and sage grouse that fly off half a mile come back too because of the speed and tracking ability

I think someone is a little "Kennel Blind"!!!!!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast