Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunters needed!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Hunters needed!

Posting for a friend that needs some blood!

IMG_6132.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Life is full of wonderful opportunities brilliantly disguised as insolvable problems."

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

When I contact them going to ask if they would be interested in woodcock samples too. Pretty sure can get more samples of them over grouse and I figure west nile in a migratory population would be a great concern.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    When I contact them going to ask if they would be interested in woodcock samples too. Pretty sure can get more samples of them over grouse and I figure west nile in a migratory population would be a great concern.
    Was thinking the same thing!

"Life is full of wonderful opportunities brilliantly disguised as insolvable problems."

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Campbery View Post

Ah great minds think alike ...….If you find out before me let us know

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Campbery View Post

Well surprised how quick of a response on my initial correspondence. Seems they are not interested in woodcock samples at the moment due too budget limitations.
    Waiting on a follow up as in my opinion can't see that many grouse being sampled from south west Ontario. With woodcock included sure you would get a bigger sample to test from and see how prevalent West Nile is.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Well surprised how quick of a response on my initial correspondence. Seems they are not interested in woodcock samples at the moment due too budget limitations.
    Waiting on a follow up as in my opinion can't see that many grouse being sampled from south west Ontario. With woodcock included sure you would get a bigger sample to test from and see how prevalent West Nile is.
    Could be the fact that they are looking more for what areas have more virus carriers than others. With woodcock migrating it would be impossible to know where they contacted the virus, this is just me guessing here. I'm thinking if they wanted just to know a ratio of birds infected/not infected they would be testing waterfowl as there is a MUCH larger hunting community than woodcock but I'm sure if they did want to sample migrating birds they would include woodcock in the mix. Ether way would be interesting to hear some data on their studies.
    Last edited by duckslayer; July 3rd, 2018 at 08:16 AM.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    Could be the fact that they are looking more for what areas have more virus carriers than others. With woodcock migrating it would be impossible to know where they contacted the virus, this is just me guessing here. I'm thinking if they wanted just to know a ratio of birds infected/not infected they would be testing waterfowl as there is a MUCH larger hunting community than woodcock but I'm sure if they did want to sample migrating birds they would include woodcock in the mix. Ether way would be interesting to hear some data on their studies.
    Without knowing the exact thesis statement of the study only guessing at their research data needs. Was thinking if they are investigating effect of west nile specifically on grouse than something that inhabits something close to grouse might provide more data than just a very limited sample from grouse themselves.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Without knowing the exact thesis statement of the study only guessing at their research data needs. Was thinking if they are investigating effect of west nile specifically on grouse than something that inhabits something close to grouse might provide more data than just a very limited sample from grouse themselves.
    Yes it was for sure worth a shot in asking them, I was just guessing as to why they only want to test grouse and WT and that guess is because they don't migrate.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

So got an email kits will be in the mail soon.
    Anyone else signed up here?
    Sounds like kits may be in limited supply so might be good to know who else is participating as if your close may need to swap kits.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Kits arrived. Now I got a great excuse for the wife. Damm honey got to go grouse hunting as need to fill out this study.... hope it flies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast