Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a muzzleloader (I think)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    This is for sale in the hunting equip. for sale section ;Traditions buckhunter 50 cal
    Not to steal a plug from another member...Just note that I believe that is a bolt action (no picture) and they are not as easy to set the primer and harder to clean...most guys buy the 'break open' ML's now...much easier all round.
    Last edited by MikePal; August 26th, 2016 at 09:48 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have had thoughts in the back of my head like yours, one thing I have been reading a lot is that 3 pellets is almost useless in a barrel length that you would buy for deer hunting. 100gr of powder is way more than what is needed and the extra 50gr just ends up on the ground in front of you. I know a number of people here have played with loads and nobody has had their most accurate with 150gr or powder, some have used 80gr (1 50gr pellet and 1 30gr pellet) and lots of guys run 100gr.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I have had thoughts in the back of my head like yours, one thing I have been reading a lot is that 3 pellets is almost useless in a barrel length that you would buy for deer hunting. 100gr of powder is way more than what is needed and the extra 50gr just ends up on the ground in front of you. I know a number of people here have played with loads and nobody has had their most accurate with 150gr or powder, some have used 80gr (1 50gr pellet and 1 30gr pellet) and lots of guys run 100gr.
    I've read the same thing.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    I've read the same thing.
    Not that you do not want that option or the extra strength, I would get one that had that option, just to get a stronger action and barrel.

I am interested on what you decide, I am sitting back and reading at the moment but a Dec muzzle loader only hunt is an interesting idea.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I am interested on what you decide, I am sitting back and reading at the moment but a Dec muzzle loader only hunt is an interesting idea.
    Top end for now is the Remington Ultimate with a barrel rated for 200 gr ...but it will run you probably $1200 CDN. But if you're wanting a 300+ yd shooter..

https://www.remington.com/rifles/muzzle-loading

We worked up and down the ladder with both Pyrodex and Triple 7 with both a CVA Omega and a Traditions Pursuit Pro and both guns settled in happy at around 80 grs... good 'Minute of Deer' groupings at the 100 yds.

We'll have to have an ML day on the range so guys can see how much fun making smoke is.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Top end for now is the Remington Ultimate with a barrel rated for 200 gr ...but it will run you probably $1200 CDN. But if you're wanting a 300+ yd shooter..

We worked up and down the ladder with both Pyrodex and Triple 7 with both a CVA Omega and a Traditions Pursuit Pro and both guns settled in happy at around 80 grs... good 'Minute of Deer' groupings at the 100 yds.

We'll have to have an ML day on the range so guys can see how much fun making smoke is.
    I would be more inclined to shoot a flinter, just put myself 50 yards max from where I expect the deer to come out.

I still want to work out a way to shoot a 338 bullet in a 50 cal using multiple sabots, ha ha, a smaller higher BC bullet with identical weight, but we beat that to death a few years back.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post

In a previous post , you were denouncing one make of muzzle loader because it was a bolt action, now you are praising another ???.

[COLOR=#333333].Just note that I believe that is a bolt action (no picture) and they are not as easy to set the primer and harder to clean...most guys buy the 'break open' ML's now...much easier all

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    In a previous post , you were denouncing one make of muzzle loader because it was a bolt action, now you are praising another ???.
    I didn't' praise it...just informed Fox about it...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I'm still looking at muzzleloaders with the season coming up. I was looking at the cva wolf and accura but I am having a hard time finding differences between the two. I know the barrel is better on the accura but people seem to be getting very good groups with the wolf. Is it really worth paying double for the accura vs the wolf?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Useless View Post
    I'm still looking at muzzleloaders with the season coming up. I was looking at the cva wolf and accura but I am having a hard time finding differences between the two. I know the barrel is better on the accura but people seem to be getting very good groups with the wolf. Is it really worth paying double for the accura vs the wolf?
    I don't know what the differences are but I guess there many reasons to buy a firearm, mine was to try something different and extend my gun season..... So I did my research and bought something that had a lot of good reviews and was not too expensive...(that was my criteria) it has served me well.

I like my CVA Wolf and it shoots good. Kills the same as the Accura (dead is dead)....

Whatever you decide on, enjoy it (have fun-they are nice to shoot)
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast