Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Equipment

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The Clam drill adapter is an excellent option, very light and compact. I would have gone that route if they would have come out with them before I bought my Rapala gas auger years back. I have a clam mounting kit on the front of my ATV for my gas auger so weight and size is not an issue.
    Both are great ice fishing tools to get to the fish and as far as the purchase cost they would be close but operation and maintenance cost will be a lot less with the battery drills
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

For an auger I have a Jiffy 10" propane model, and it is awesome! Just have a pop up hub blind and am not a fan, am going to upgrade to a clam flip over this year I think.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

ChrisM23,
    Do yourself a favour and buy a insulated clam flip hut it is well worth the extra money

OFAH and CCFR member

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    ChrisM23,
    Do yourself a favour and buy a insulated clam flip hut it is well worth the extra money

I've really got to spend a day In a thermal because everyone seems to find a significant difference in warmth. anyone with one seem to notice the added weight? How is packing back up when wet and then frozen from a day out fishing? Things I always wondered but never had the luxury of trying one out. My gang is all pop ups and reg canvas clams

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I really like my Chapelle 3000 hut.I have had it about 5 years and the material is still holding up great

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I'd recommend any reputable brand or even the costco brand huts. Really comes down to "how many dollars are you ok with putting down" when looking at huts. As for augers, the best setup you can have is an ION electric. Alternatively, if you already own a good drill, like an M18 Milwaukee or similar, get the Clam drill adapter, paired with the drill and a Fin-Bore 8" auger. Covers everything you'll ever need to do.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I bought the clam drill adapter, and a six inch drill couple weeks back now. Great setup, I have dewalt 20V, so far I have drilled 16 holes in 16" of ice on 1 battery and the gauge still showed a 3rd life left. I have a lazer 8" drill that I haven't used in 8 years, I think I'm going to try that this week to see how it works. If it works out ok, I'm going to sell my jiffy, as it is to heavy for this old man.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I prefer the tank top heaters for a few reasons. First, they are cheaper to buy and WAY cheaper to run. My Mr. Buddy burns through 3 small tanks in a day and that is not on high. So that is $18 in propane. My tank top burns about half that and there are no refills required on a trip. I would get a 5 lb or 10 lb tank and a tank top. It also heats the hut incredibly well. With a sled, especially if you build a SMITTY sled, the weight is not that different than hauling 3 one lb tanks out.
    I have a Rapala Fatshak and love it, but agree that anchoring it is a bit of a pain. It also is not as mobile. I would buy a good flip over, like a clam. I have heard of many guys having trouble with the Rapala flip overs.
    And I would get a sonar ASAP. I waited a year and feel like I wasted a lot of time on the trips I took that year. They will go on sale now and some guys will also sell theirs at the end of season on jiji etc. Stay with a Vexilar, Marcum or Hummingbird and you will be good as they are all pretty comparable. Good luck.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grab the net View Post
    I've really got to spend a day In a thermal because everyone seems to find a significant difference in warmth. anyone with one seem to notice the added weight? How is packing back up when wet and then frozen from a day out fishing? Things I always wondered but never had the luxury of trying one out. My gang is all pop ups and reg canvas clams
    The weight is not an issue nor is packing up, try one out you will like it

OFAH and CCFR member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Kenny, might want to check your mister buddy if you still have it. I have to get like 6 to 8hrs out of 1 tank and that is set on high.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast