Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A 12g was deemed a bad choice by a firearms expert? In all fairness my guess is this cop wasn’t a hunter and clearly only learned to shoot in police college. None of it good.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not clear what 12g ammo the cop had.

But I feel his decision had a lot more to do with paperwork than anything else.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    Cops are not good at this.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...mpression=true

We have a couple cops in our deer camp who wouldn’t have even left a blood stain, and the deer wouldn’t have suffered.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No doubt. But then we read about cops shooting a deer multiple times to kill it. It's not in their training.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    No doubt. But then we read about cops shooting a deer multiple times to kill it. It's not in their training.

I witnessed an incident like that personally, 5 shots from the side of the road all miss's till i said to the cop "just walk up and put a shot behind the ear" he was reluctant as he said the deer might get up and injure him, not with two broken front legs , "I said to him".
    He took my advice and walked up and killed the deer.
    All this in front of about 5 other witness's.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That’s not uncommon. Officers that don’t hunt, have little experience in dispatching an animal. I’ve seen some things that make one give their head a shake!
    I don’t know what rounds they use in Alberta, but the rounds used here were chosen to prevent pass-through.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

That's pretty horrific, but I think he was doing what he thought was best. A few years ago there was a story about a civilian who used a large rock to dispatch an injured bear. I think there was outrage about that too. I don't remember what happened to the guy in the end.
    It's not an easy decision when there are bystanders around. I'd bet that if there was no one hanging around to potentially be injured by a ricochet, the officer would have used his sidearm.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Pretty wild to just run it over, but as long as he got it done. There a lot of information not mentioned in article, like number of people around, area and so fourth. I would think just the paper work along would be enough to just run it over.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I put cows down with 1 or 2 shots using solid 22 rimfire, doubt if a deer would be any harder to dispatch, I also can't see how a 12 gauge at 2 ft to the head will ricochet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast