View Poll Results: Do you want to get rid of the off-topic section?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 27.78%
  • No

39 72.22%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you want to get rid of the off-topic section?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Yes

I'm on another forum where we talk about hunting and dogs. There is an off topic category, but it is rarely used- no politics/religion talk allowed.

Here, MOST of the posts are in the off topic section and few in the hunting, fishing, dogs categories. I think that's sad.
    Maybe if there was no Off Topic section this forum would go back to what it once was.
    I think you are making a good point, but You may also be missing a good point as well.

If the forum members are limited to only talking about hunting or fishing, then one of two things will happen.
    1) There is no Off topic section. Off topic gets posted in other sections

2) When members don't have a direct hunting or fishing topic to post/discuss they don't come here.

I think both would decrease not increase use of the forum.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    IMHO, the Off Topic section is a good fit !! Perhaps a bit more “moderating “ would be in order...
    X2 well things seem to have been very civil lately, it may not last.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If it wasn't for the off topic section I suspect this forum would have shut down months ago. Its close to the most used section on the entire forum. So it gets out of hand occasionally but it does generate participation.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Off topic section is good, it's nice to know there is a place to discuss something other than hunting or fishing if you choose to do so....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    IMHO, the Off Topic section is a good fit !! Perhaps a bit more “moderating “ would be in order...
    I agree....
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Yes

I'm on another forum where we talk about hunting and dogs. There is an off topic category, but it is rarely used- no politics/religion talk allowed.
    That's a good idea but to be effective it would have to be strictly policed.
    And not just in the "Off Topic" section but forum wide.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think that if you do not want an 'off topic', section, then don't go there. Pretend it does not exist. Why would you presume to tell others what sections are relevant or important to them. Don't like apples , then don't eat them, but please don't tell others they can't..

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    I think that if you do not want an 'off topic', section, then don't go there. Pretend it does not exist. Why would you presume to tell others what sections are relevant or important to them. Don't like apples , then don't eat them, but please don't tell others they can't..

X2 When you and I agree.....
    These are strange days my friend strange days indeed.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Suggestion: Maybe the Admin/ IT crew could find a way to restrict the 'Off Topic' forum posts from showing up in the 'Activity Stream'. That would prevent the posts on it from overrunning the rest of the posts on the forum. Sometime good topics get pushed off the radar rather quickly by some of the nonsense that goes on in the Off Topic area.

ie: the great Mask discussion with 338 posts and 34 pages dominated the Activity Stream for days...hard to get another threat going on the other forums.
    Last edited by MikePal; July 28th, 2020 at 06:11 AM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    This in a nutshell.
    If you don't like someone, instead of personal attacks, put them on ignore.
    Off topics with opinions from people who enjoy the outdoors with hunting and fishing backgrounds can give a different perspective to problems and ideas others have and can help solve them from past experiences.
    And besides, it does sometimes get really interesting in between seasons here doesn't it????
    John