This tasty stew is full of flavour and hearty enough to fill up the hungriest hunters in camp. Just be sure to make a double batch as there will be plenty of empty bowls looking for seconds.
Makes 4 large or 6 small bowls of stew.
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 white onion, chopped
• 5 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 lb. moose sausage, removed from casing, chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 3 small carrots,peeled and chopped
• 1 Yukon gold potato, chopped
• 4 cups beef broth
• 2 cups water
• 1 cup green lentils
• 3 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper, for those who like a little spice
• 2 tsp. ground sage
• Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
Add moose sausage and sauté for an additional 6 to 7 minutes.
Add carrots, celery, and potatoes to the pot. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add beef broth, water, thyme, and lentils. Season with ground cayenne and sage, salt, and pepper.
Simmer for 30 minutes. Add more seasoning if desired. Serve with some crusty bread.