December 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Has all the answers
Valens Ice Fishing Derby Info
Ice Fishing Derby
Rules and Regulations
Sunday February 17, 2013...Sunrise to 2pm
The HCA reserves the right to change the following rules at any time up to the day before the derby. If the rules are changed, the revised rules will be posted at the park on the day of the event.
1. Catch and release derby open to anyone. There is no minimum age for participants, however, all children must be with a parent or legal guardian at all times during the derby.
2. All adult participants must pay the derby fee of $25 per person. Child derby fee is $15 per person for those 12 and under. The first 50 children through the gates will receive a rod/reel combo valued at ~$25. For registration please visit or call the park at 905-525-2183 or 519-621-6029
3. Catches will be accepted at the live release ice hut from sunrise until the closing of the derby, 2 p.m.
4. Prizes will be awarded after catches are closed, approximately 2:30 p.m.
5. Fish species credited in the derby are bluegill, crappie, pumpkin seed, brown bullhead, and perch. No other species are accepted for the derby.
6. Tickets are based on live release of the fish. One ticket per two fish. A maximum number of 25 tickets will be allowed per angler.
7. A 5-gallon pail or similar container to transport for live release is mandatory.
8. Participants with winning ticket must be present to claim prize or prizes.
9. If conditions occur which are found dangerous to derby participants, the HCA staff have the right to deem the derby closed and prizes will be given out by random draw.
10. All participants must do their utmost to exhibit good sportsmanship and fair play.
11. All participants must follow the Provincial Fishing Regulations set out by the Ministry of Natural Resources. Licences on not required on February 17th.
12. It is the participants responsibility to identify fish species correctly.
13. All HCA staff, sponsors and event volunteers are not liable for any expenses, claims or demands that may arise from all participating in the derby.
14. By entering the derby all participants declare an understanding of all derby rules and agree to abide by them. In addition, it is understood that images of the derby and/or participants may be used by the HCA for future marketing purposes.
15. All rules are subject to the interpretation of the HCA staff and are final.
:fish:Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught:fish:
December 23rd, 2012 08:14 PM
December 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Just starting out
Thanks Hammy Mike and Screwby for the post and shout out...
I can tell you that the lake at Valens was still open as of today. We should see things come about this year with a ice cover better than what happened this past year.
I will post some of the prizes for the derby as they begin to develop.
In the mean time check out this little blog I put together this week to help get you boys in the spirit of the season.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
December 24th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Getting the hang of it
Done deal. Looking forward to the event and meeting some of the forum participants.