Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: New build! Turning a 30-06 into a Whelen and ???

  1. #1
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default New build! Turning a 30-06 into a Whelen and ???

    A good member of this board sold me his Savage American in 30-06 for a price that makes this project possible - thank you!

    The donor gun is stainless and in good shape.

    Just yesterday, I sent JC of JC custom barrels in New Brunswick a deposit on a new stainless barrel prefit to 35 Whelen.

    This fellow took the time to talk to me about the project and walk me through considerations regarding contour and twist. Great fellow to deal with!

    I did a bit of research on his barrels and frankly there are quite a few very happy customers. There is a long wait but that is expected with any quality manufacturer.

    Up to now I have only ever purchased Brux match grade and they have been great but for this build I really wanted to try one of the great barrel manufacturers in Canada!

    I will be ordering a set of HS gauges and a pillar bedded Boyd’s stock to really make this rig shine.

    The recoil lug will also be replaced.

    I will keep the 30-06 barrel and stock as is as for a switch gun set up.

    Ultimately, I will hope to add a 338-06, and possibly a 6.5-06 down the road in the same contour so I don’t have to mess with the stock.

    My hope is that this Whelen build will hold MOA to 300 yards with 225 or 250 grain bullets.

    I will post pictures as I proceed through this project for those that are interested along with all associated costs.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Right on......I look forward to following along with you.....
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    What twist did you go with?

    The Whelen is on my list but down the road for sure. Many of the factory guns will struggle with 250gr unless they are a flat base from what I hear but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

  5. #4
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    That is what I recall as well Fox. I have requested a 1 in 12. The whelen apparently shines with 225 and 250 grain bullets so hopefully I will see a good result.

    Live Bates - pictures of parts accumulated so far will be posted later this week. This will be a learning experience for me which I am happy to share!

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    That is what I recall as well Fox. I have requested a 1 in 12. The whelen apparently shines with 225 and 250 grain bullets so hopefully I will see a good result.

    Live Bates - pictures of parts accumulated so far will be posted later this week. This will be a learning experience for me which I am happy to share!
    Well you will push that 225gr bullet at the same speed as a 180gr 3006, so ya it is going to shine.

    The problem with the 35 bullets is that lack of longer range bullets, lower BC flat base lead tip bullets are the norm but the Accubond 225gr is one that is on the sticky note at my desk at home.

    I have my sights on a 7600 in 35 whelen, dad has a 7600 and there is just something about the amish machine gun that is appealing to me. Load up some pistol bullets at low speed, 35 rem velocity 200gr bullets for deer in the tight woods and then heavy stuff for when I can finally get up to the Yukon for Bison.

  7. #6
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The 7600 are good riffles and I have made several shoot 1/2 MOA. They would be great to find in whelen but unfortunately none seem to come up!

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    The 7600 are good riffles and I have made several shoot 1/2 MOA. They would be great to find in whelen but unfortunately none seem to come up!
    It is rare, lots came up on CGN ..... when I did not have the budget for one, ha ha ha

    Ya, lots of people bash the 760 rifles, claim they are bad but a 7/8in 5 shot group load with dads 3006, 180gr Hornady BTSP at 200fps over factory 180gr Remington Core Lok and their 3in group. That was done with the scope at the max 4x, not ideal for developing a load but very nice.

    I have heard that some people like to move to the AI version of the Whelen due to headspace issues but read that this is mainly an issue with light pistol bullet loads.

  9. #8
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Sounds like a build for chasing game?..
    Glades Armory has great options for bolt handles if considered for your build.

  10. #9
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I have 35 Whelen built on a Howa action with a match grade Pac-nor barrel. 1/14 twist and it shoots 225 accubonds loaded to +/- 2700 fps or 250 partitions to +/- 2500 fps. Both loads are MOA. Killed 8 bears with that gun over the years and most were sub 10 yard recoveries with the longest being 13 yards.

    Looking forward to updates. As an aside all my 250 grain bullets were bought off of you R, a few years back off the for sale section on this site.
    Last edited by Species8472; June 21st, 2021 at 02:21 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

  11. #10
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    I have 35 Whelen built on a Howa action with a match grade Pac-nor barrel. 1/14 twist and it shoots 225 accubonds loaded to +/- 2700 fps or 250 partitions to +/- 2500 fps. Both loads are MOA. Killed 8 bears with that gun over the years and most were sub 10 yard recoveries with the longest being 13 yards.

    Looking forward to updates. As an aside all my 250 grain bullets were bought off of you R, a few years back off the for sale section on this site.
    Good info, I can’t wait to build this thing. Go no go gauges ordered today!

    I forgot about those bullets! It seems you have put them to good use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •