Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.5hp gas outboard vs electric trolling

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I'm not trying to change your mind bringit, but don't base your thoughts on two strokes by the probs you had with what was probably a cheaper model string trimmer. I too had probs like that with my initial weed wackers before I went out and bought a quality machine. With all my 2 stroke engines I have now (7 of them) I use only premium fuel and add Seafoam to all my fuel mixes. My Echo trimmer for example is now 6 years old and still runs like a charm. My 1972 6hp Johnson has had one carb kit and a couple of impellers in it's life apart from regular maintenance like lower unit oil and plugs.
    Basically what I'm saying is that there are literally millions of two stroke engines out there. With proper maintenance, using good fuel and making sure to drain fuel out for the off season and running the carb dry for outboards after use they are very dependable engines.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

My choice would be a gas motor. Lugging around a heavy battery and have it go dead when you need it most. Just do the maintenance on the gas motor and it will treat you right. My 1986 Evinrude 6hp will run a week on a 2.5 gallon tank. I'm guessing a 2 or 3hp would go twice as far.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I agree 2 stroke motor. will last forever,and prpblems can usually be solved with a google search. Usually comes down to giving the carb a good cleaning.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

2 stroke engine for sure, just not a merc....it would make a great anchor though.

S.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

If you don't need long duration then electric seems to fit your preferences. Get a motor with the maximizer type of feature to extend battery life. Although more $$, a sealed gel or AGM type battery avoids worries of acid spills. If you use a wet cell the piut in in a bettery box with cover to reduce exposure to acid.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I would base my purchase on the distance you have to lug it through the woods. We run about 6 Johnson/Evinrude 2 and 2.5 hp, built in tanks 2 stokes for the back lakes. They weigh about 25 pounds, and will run for 6 hrs on a tank. They are a dime a dozen, and once you get them figured out, require about 20 minutes each to winterize or get ready for spring. If they fail, a flat tip and new plug will solve most issues.

I carried a fresh battery out to a dead tractor once, about three km. If it would have been my tractor, it would still be there.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I agree lugging around a battery is horrible, every spring and fall when I haul it in and out of my boat, it sucks, I always mudder to myself friigin heavy POS.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you spring for the Honda you won't have weed whacker issues. That Honda will probably last a lifetime. Like others have suggested, starting problems stem from todays 87 octane gas, especially storing over the season without additives. Use premium and store with some Seafoam and you'll have very few starting issues.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    If you spring for the Honda you won't have weed whacker issues. That Honda will probably last a lifetime. Like others have suggested, starting problems stem from todays 87 octane gas, especially storing over the season without additives. Use premium and store with some Seafoam and you'll have very few starting issues.
    Also look for ethanol-free gasoline- usually premium such as Shell Gold.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinepointer View Post
    Also look for ethanol-free gasoline- usually premium such as Shell Gold.
    ^this.

I've owned at least 3-4 electric trolling motors. Some light-duty with a single deep cell battery...and at least two heavier set-ups (50-60lb. thrust) with a 24v/2 battery set-up, built-in chargers, etc. Honestly, I've always been underwhelmed with them whether they were in my boat, or on those belonging to buddies. I think I've seen every electrical issue they can have over the years too and quite frankly...I've grown to sort of hate them for it. Batteries are dreadfully heavy too, I wouldn't want to lifting one into/out of a canoe very often. Wouldn't take much to crack or punch a hole through the hull.

Gas motors have they're own little issues but in my experience...either WORK, or can be made to work with very little preventative maintenance. The little Hondas and Yamahas appeal to me, but I've had the most experience with the noisy little 2-stroke Evinrudes with the built in tanks. Very light, lots of punch, and not too much that can go wrong with them. I fish in a big, heavy-duty kayak now and am contemplating adding a motor...so this has been on my mind lately too. I know what it WON'T be~an electric.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast