Thread: Hunting along hydro corridor on crown land

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Hunting along hydro corridor on crown land

Hi,

If both municipality and crown land atlas (general use area) allow discharge/hunting, however there is large hydro corridor crossing a crownland.

From what I see on map, there are no trail/road under the hydro towers, so 8m rule "travelled portion of a right of way for public vehicular traffic" doesn't seem to apply.

Can you
    A. Travel under hydro towers by foot or ATV?
    B. How far away from towers do you legally have to be to discharge/hunt etc..?

been reading about:
    https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/PSLUP-FAQs

It states that "public uses have top priority" which "seem" to indicate that culpa policy/allowed activities permit hunting..

Which ministry in this case a correct point of contact for confirmation?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You might want to be really careful about hunting hydro corridors, regardless what the atlas tells you. Depending on where, many times the hydro company may just have an easement from a private land owner allowing them on the land. That doesn't carry over to private individuals. It may still be private property. Due diligence is in order.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    Hi,

If both municipality and crown land atlas (general use area) allow discharge/hunting, however there is large hydro corridor crossing a crownland.

From what I see on map, there are no trail/road under the hydro towers, so 8m rule "travelled portion of a right of way for public vehicular traffic" doesn't seem to apply.

Can you
    A. Travel under hydro towers by foot or ATV?
    B. How far away from towers do you legally have to be to discharge/hunt etc..?

been reading about:
    https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/PSLUP-FAQs

It states that "public uses have top priority" which "seem" to indicate that culpa policy/allowed activities permit hunting..

Which ministry in this case a correct point of contact for confirmation?

Thanks in advance

Like Bushmoose said,be sure the hydro line is actually on Crown land. North of the French River,you're pretty much good to go because almost all of it outside towns and villages is Crown. In the south,you really need to be sure,but,generally,from about Huntsville north,hunting Hydro corridors is pretty much how everyone hunts,so,there's a better than average chance that you likely won't be alone. ATV,snow machine and on foot is up to you. Some trails may require an ATV/snow mobile club permit unless you're on foot.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thank you for suggestions.

The area being targeted is around Bon Echo.

Who do you think one should contact to make sure - mnr/opp or local township?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    Thank you for suggestions.

The area being targeted is around Bon Echo.

Who do you think one should contact to make sure - mnr/opp or local township?

The Crown Land Atlas is a good start but not always bullet-proof. Go to the MNRF or local township for confirmation. If the area in question is nearby, you could also do a site visit to get the lay of the land including the presence of any evidence of private ownership.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What determines if you can hunt a Hydro corridor?
    I know lot's do in 65 for Deer. Go up to Algonquin Park and from Pembrook - Mattawa people hunt bear all along the Hydro corridor. Between Deep River and Mackey you will find bear stands every 1/2 km or less.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Land ownership determines if you can hunt a power line. Rarely does the utility actually own the land, rather they get an easement from private land owners or permission (Crown Easement or Land Use Permit) from the MNRF for crossing Crown land. Basically the utility is a “user” or “occupier” and not the owner, thus the actual owner determines if hunting is allowed or not. On Crown land, hunting is usually legal,
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have friends north of Peterborough with a Hydro line through their property. Hydro pays them an easement fee of $450/month for a swathe that's 250M wide crossing 200 acres.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Also check the actual entrances to hydro lines from roads as sometimes it's posted as motorized prohibited

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the pointers everyone